Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am in the process of redesigning my dash on my 68 Camaro. I am putting 5 X 2&1/6 inch gauges at the top, moving the heater control to the very bottom where the ashtray was, and trying to put a stereo in the middle. My old Sony (cdx5100) is getting tired. It won't do cd-r/w or mp3. It is starting to skip, time for a new one.

This is how it is wired. The head has two rca preouts. They are connected to two amps behind the rear seat. The Sanyo 200watt powers a 10" sub, the Sony 504x powers a set of 6X9 coaxals on the back parcel deck. The line outs from the head powers a pair of 3.5 inch speaker in the dash where the factory speaker was. I want to replace these speakers with tweeters, and install some 4?5?6? speakers in the kick panels.

My questions are:

Is it possible to purchase a 1/2 high din stereo? It sure would make it easier to fab the center section to replace the aluminum one.

If I have to use a full din sized stereo, What kind should I purchase and how should I wire it.

I would prefer one that is not to gaudy. My idea of perfect is 5 or 6 buttons, display shows time and what I am playing and not a dragon eating a city or some such, and the color of the display is not some weird green or red color. I realize that probably no one makes this, but perhaps I can get some ideas from the "stereo guys" here.

Thanks

Dan

[ 11-20-2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: 383_68camaro ]

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
Dan Im sliding this into the Elec. section, more of the shock guru's hang you there.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Well, I re-engineered my 69 dash to accept a full DIN Panasonic with the flip up face. The unit really fit well at the stock radio place with a few cutouts. I am going to do the same with the 55 Chevy PU that I am doing.

I do NOT think that there is a 1/2 DIN package. However, there is remote/hidden units that are pretty cool and leave it out of the dash.

As far as what to purchase????.....many differnt types and you have to go to BestBuy or Circuit City or check out the Crutchfield catalog as well. I stick to either Panasonic, Sony or Pioneer units. All have the correct outputs that you need. I am also thinking XM radio. I like that! But, also MP3 and other digital music is sweeeeeeeeeet!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a hidden unit that has a dash display for changing channels cds volume and stuff?? Haveing a remote to a unit that is 2.5 feet from my shoulder seems strange somehow.Anyway,

I went to Audio Warehose and they recomended a Clarion dxz845mc. It is on sale for 45% off. It seems like a nice unit, however the display is tiny and loaded with lots of stuff that makes it hard to read when you are standing still, let alone when you are driving.

I think I agree with the brand name stuff. I have used Sony ( In my cars) all my life and have had no complaints.

I guess I got to do more shopping.

Thanks for the tips Jack.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts