Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone instlled a new sytle DIN Stereo in a early camaro. I have a a 68 conv and am looking to install a MP3/CD player somewhere but cannot find a good spot. In the glove box would work but then its out of site and would have to use the remote.
I would like to keep the stock stereo in the dash.

If you have pictures please email.

Thanks
-Doug
68 RS/SS 396 Conv

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Doesn't leave a whole lot of options for locating it. If you dont have a console. You could always put somthing together with a cb install kit infront of the shifter tucked under the dash.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was hesitant about putting a head unit in the dash of my 69, but in the end, it was the only place that made sense for me. It was only a piece of plastic which I could replace and make work again if I ever wanted to, which I sincerely doubt. A center console seems to be the only remaining location that makes sense. If your putting a stereo in your car, that suggests that you want to drive it and enjoy it. Putting a head unit where it is accessible and usable seems to play a big part in enjoying the entire experience of the car. I'm sure your reasons for wanting to keep the stock unit in the dash are valid ones, but unless you are trying to win shows (in which case, any additional stereo equipment wouldn't help), then I would put it in the dash and be done with it. The stereo has made my car many times more enjoyable. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My husband and I just installed our cd player in our 68 SS this past Saturday. I got help on here on how to install it. We got a special box (black plastic with predrilled holes for mounting) at an audio place that our deck fit into nicely and we mounted it under the ashtray.. looks pretty good there and easy to access. If you want, I can send you pictures. We didn't want to remove our original radio either. We thought about putting it in the glove box but that involved drilling and cutting and we didn't want to ruin the originality.

Jo

·
Registered
153 Posts
Doug,
I believe that Custom Auto Sound (soundmove.com) has solutions that might work for you. I think they also have replacement kick panels that have speakers already in them, in case you needed a place for speakers and didn't want to cut your existing panels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts