Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my 68 goes to the body shop on Monday and it's time to look ahead to re-assembly. I don't know what to do about a stereo. I want a new style CD player deck but do not want to cut the center section of the dash. I was planning to make a housing to mount the deck in the front section of the console, but I don't think this will clear the bottom of the dash. If it did, my B&M Mega Shifter would probably be in the way!

Has anyone got pictures of some custom stero installs. Maybe something under the dash or in the console?? I may have to install it in the glovebox, but that seems like it would be a pain (and stereos with remotes probably cost more money).

Thanks
Robb

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
There are several companies that offer radios that will fit your Camaro. Custom Auto Sound is one. They offer a radio that looks almost like it was original and offer hook ups for CD and amps. I never used one (yet) but this is what I will be looking at when the time comes. I like the idea of not tearing up my dash.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
They way I see it, if you don't want to hack your dash, is to use one of the options Custom Auto Sound has. Codi offered one solution but they also make a remote unit. It's 2 pieces, a panel that houses the controls and the brains which fits, say under a seat. It will also operate a changer.

There was a thread a week or so ago detailing this.

Here is the thread:
http://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum14/HTML/001710.html

------------------
-Funk
My '67 RS

[This message has been edited by CFunK (edited 01-28-2003).]

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, but I had followed that thread last week. See, since I've spent a small fortune on the rest of the car, the stereo is low on the priority list. I am hoping to stay away from shuttles, remotes, etc to keep the costs down. My goal was to go to Walmart (or somewhere) and pick up an inexpensive CD deck and install it somehow. It's just the creative mounting/installation that I was looking for advice on.

Please don't think I'm not grateful for the advice, it's just I looked at these options and I am trying to explore other (cheaper) alternatives.

Thanks again
Robb

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I ran across this on the web a while back but I can't find the link:

This guy took a removable face cd deck and found a place in his console to mount the face plate (you could also mount it on the dash). Then he located a mounting point for the head unit under his seat (easier to put in the cds than the glovebox). He made a custom harness (just standard automotive wire) and soldered the ends to the head unit. After mounting the head unit he ran the harness and soldered the ends to the faceplate. Home made remote stereo!

------------------
Scott- Austin, TexasMy '68 RS/ZZ4

·
Registered
195 Posts
robbm,
I just installed a cd player in the dash of my 67. It went well and still left enough of the dash to put the factory radio back in. Part of the holes are still there and the screw holes for the face plate are still there. When the dash bezel is installed you can see part of the dash under it but I am going to use some black grained vinal I have to cove it up before the bezel goes on.
I will try to get some pic on my web site tonight so you can see it.
Hope this helps.
Matt

------------------
67 Camaro SS350 Clone, 4sp PDB,PS,Hotchkis suspension,Intense Blue Pearlcoat,and lots of new metal
building it my way!!

Looky at My Car!!!
http://matman67.cz28.com/

·
Registered
195 Posts
No I didn't take any. But I took the sleeve and held it centered and cutv the openning. A little off the top and bottom and about 3/4 of the holed on the sides.
I would take it apart but that wouldn't be good on the sleeve.
Matt

------------------
67 Camaro SS350 Clone, 4sp PDB,PS,Hotchkis suspension,Intense Blue Pearlcoat,and lots of new metal
building it my way!!

Looky at My Car!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Matt

Now I'm not sure what to do.... I know that I will never restore the car to 'factory' correct so I don't know why I don't feel right about cutting. It helps to know that there's less cutting than I expected.... oh what to do...

Robb

·
Registered
195 Posts
The way I feel about is its your car and the final say is yours. But I want to be comfortable while I am driving my lifes savings around having fun. It is also a lot less stuff bolted all over the car. No diging in the trunk to put a CD in or under the seat.
But this is my thoughts about it and I am sure a lot of people will disagree with me and thats fine.
Just enjoy it and do it your way
Good luck, Matt.

------------------
building it my way!!

Looky at My Car!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts