Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
even though my 69 came with the standard AM radio with a front and rear speaker, i want to put the new/old AM/FM MP3 radio in. i bought the 4 speaker stereo harness from Ricks
( american autowire )i think it's a factory harness. the problem is, even though it has the proper connectors for the 2 front speakers it only has 2 wires going to the rear speakers. one is blue and goes to the pass side and the other is longer and brown and goes to the drivers side. it would appear that you need to ground 1 side of each speaker to the body. i've never seen stereo speakers wired this way before. am i missing something? i did turn 54 the other day so it really could be me...lol

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I'm going to turn 50, so what are you trying to say ? :)

I cannot say for sure with your setup but GM, Ford, AMC, and some others only had one wire going to a speaker which was the positive output from the radio and it connected to the speaker and then the negative wire on the speaker was tied to the speakers frame and when it was bolted down to metal it worked. This is what they called a common ground system. When I had this setup in cars but the speaker had two terminals I had this little jumper wires to go from the speakers negative terminal and then would clip onto a metal edge close to the speaker.
Todays radio's and some older ones had what is called a floating ground system in that the positive and negative speaker wires could not come into contact with the body of the car and if this did happen they would either go into protection or burn up the output transistors.

I would double check that your radio CAN have a speakers negative terminal grounded to the body of the car. I wouldn't want to take a chance and damage the radio.

Normally the common ground systems were only 5-6 watts per channel while the floating ground systems could be 20 watts or more.

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Yep, single wire was OEM. That's why my 8 track is not hooked to my newer speakers. Couldn't figure out how to do it. But it makes a great armrest! Maybe I should get another set of speakers for it. Ah, nostalgia,,,,,,,

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok..thanks..........so now if i'm gonna use the newer style old looking radio.....i guess i have to add 2 ground wires to go back to the newer radio. haven't they come up with a "wireless" speaker system for cars yet?....lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts