Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem with my steering wheel sticking from about the 10oclock to 12noon position. Ive recently replaced the power steering gearbox because it was leaking, but that didnt cure the problem. Ive also changed the idler arm as well with no results.... Maybe someone here has had this situation or could shed some light on what I may need to look for before I replace any other parts....
Thanks in advance !!

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
try belt conditioner and retighten the belts.

·
Super Moderator
32,272 Posts
Ensure the rest of the front axle beyond the steering box is in good repair, i.e., ball joints, tie rod ends, and tire pressure.
Might even swap side-to-side, the front wheels and see if the problem follows or stays.
A 10 to 12 o:clock movement is not very much.
Might add more shims to the rear bolt for more caster.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Having a problem with my steering wheel sticking from about the 10oclock to 12noon position. Ive recently replaced the power steering gearbox because it was leaking, but that didnt cure the problem. Ive also changed the idler arm as well with no results.... Maybe someone here has had this situation or could shed some light on what I may need to look for before I replace any other parts....
Thanks in advance !!
It there anything rubbing near the rag joint connection? Did you happen to check the steering wheel for any sticking with the PS box out? Just a thought..

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some great ideas, I will troubleshoot the above mentioned items, thanks as always guys! Any other thoughts or ideas is appreciated! Btw, the car in question is a '67 coupe, thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Start simple, move to complex.

Start with the belts. If not disconnect the next easiest bit: pitman and pitman shaft. If it still sticks you know the bottom bits are good.

If it doesn't stick you have eliminated about 60% of the components.

If it does stick then I'd disconnect the rag joint (which probably needs to be replaced anyway...). That should eliminate (or, at least, isolate) the power components.

I guess before you do all this can you feel where it's sticking when you turn it? Does it feel deep inside or just in the column? Does it do it when the front wheels are off the ground?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts