Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I need to do new tires for next spring and I'm trying to find a tire that is softer than my BFG's. I'd like to go to the Drag strip 3 or 4 times a year like I used. I used to run M/T Drag radials in a 255/60/50 size. However they pick up too many rocks and I'm worried about my paint. Has anyone found any tires that stick reasonable in a 235 or 255/60/15 radial? Thanks

1968 Camaro LS swap, TH350 FMFVB, 5000 stall, 12 bolt w/ 35 spline and spooled 4.10's
21,231 Posts
Would a clear mask on the lower rear quarters work ?

How do you go through your burnout and staging ?

Only time I've seen regular radials work good is with a great suspension...

· Premium Member
5,508 Posts
I saw somewhere a clear stick-on removable film applied to lower quarters for protection. Can't remember where I saw it.

· Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There used to be a clear spray on mask but I haven’t been able to find it locally. I also saw people at the track using some clear body shop plastic that’s meant for painting and sticks to paint but peels easily. I was hoping to be able to drive around on the tires and then hit the track. It’s 25 miles to the track . I do a basic burnout with a line lock and stop when I feel the tires start to drag the rpm of the motor down.

1968 Camaro LS swap, TH350 FMFVB, 5000 stall, 12 bolt w/ 35 spline and spooled 4.10's
21,231 Posts
. I do a basic burnout with a line lock and stop when I feel the tires start to drag the rpm of the motor down.
Regular radials, that'll change.
Go around the water box, back in, pull forward, spin 3-5 seconds just to clean off. Otherwise, you take a chance of overheating the tires.

As for the lower quarters...badge of honor, I just leave the rubber on there.

· Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I used to run M/T Drag radials and they made about .2 to .3 seconds difference. I also used the painters tape and it worked well. I’m trying to find something I can drive on street and track for Nostalgia events. If I have to I’ll get two sets of rear tires. I need new tires for next season. Thanks

· Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Doug. I currently have them but I don’t like the sound of the rocks and sand. When I had M/T 255 60’s they chipped the paint on the wheel lip really badly. I may por 15 the inner edge of the wheel lip and try drag radials again. Thanks for your input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts