Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our '67 seems to have an issue. If the brake pedal is moderately or slowly released, the brake lights stay on. If the foot is quickly moved off the brake pedal, the brake lights go out. How and what do I adjust? If relevant, although I doubt it, this car has a clutch pedal. Thank you!

·
Registered
1968 Camaro Convertible 327 210hp
73 Posts
Does the brake pedal come all the way up when you remove your foot, or can you pull it up a bit more? My 68 had a similar issue. I adjusted the brake light switch and the issue would be more intermittent. It ended up being the power brake booster.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies above! I just did a little test. The brake pedal releases on its own back to a point where it is the same position/height as the clutch pedal (which is of course not being pressed). I can use my hands to "lift" the brake pedal about another 1/4" up, which turns off the brake lights.

What is the best next step? Is there some lubrication that can be applied which would make the brake pedal release just a little bit more? Replace the return spring? (I haven't checked for its presence, but don't see how the pedal would be releasing as much as it is without it.) Adjust the nuts for the switch?

Thank you once again!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks for the replies above! I just did a little test. The brake pedal releases on its own back to a point where it is the same position/height as the clutch pedal (which is of course not being pressed). I can use my hands to "lift" the brake pedal about another 1/4" up, which turns off the brake lights.

What is the best next step? Is there some lubrication that can be applied which would make the brake pedal release just a little bit more? Replace the return spring? (I haven't checked for its presence, but don't see how the pedal would be releasing as much as it is without it.) Adjust the nuts for the switch?

Thank you once again!
You can apply some spray lube, but the spring is most likely not pulling the pedal back all the way. You can adjust the switch to get around this, but check the spring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the return spring is missing. It is really hard for me to confirm but I'm hopeful the experts will be able to confirm based on the pics below, which I took last weekend. 1) Where do I buy the spring and what is its stock #? 2) Installation tips? There doesn't seem to be much (any!) space up there to work with!

Any other comments appreciated in advance.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire White Hood Automotive design
Automotive tire Hood Bicycle part Fender Rim
Hood Circuit component Automotive tire Automotive lighting Electrical wiring
Wheel Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,479 Posts
I should have mentioned prior, if you have power brakes there will not be a return spring. If that's your case just adjust the brake light switch. But, it looks like your switch is out of travel. In that case you'll probably have to bend the mounting tab carefully. Or you could tape a piece of foam around the pedal with some damn good tape. Or something similar. There may be a longer threaded switch available.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I should have mentioned prior, if you have power brakes there will not be a return spring. If that's your case just adjust the brake light switch. But, it looks like your switch is out of travel. In that case you'll probably have to bend the mounting tab carefully. Or you could tape a piece of foam around the pedal with some damn good tape. Or something similar. There may be a longer threaded switch available.
Appears very unusual for that switch to that far adjusted toward the pedal.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Again, a bad switch.

But it looks like you might be missing a part. I found this when looking for a brake switch installation.

FROM CAMARO CENTRAL
1967 - 1969 Camaro Brake Pedal Stop Light Switch Striker Plate

New correct angled metal striker to activate your brake light switch. Correct for all 67, 68 or 69 Camaro models with power brakes. Mounts to your brake pedal to activate the brake stop light switch. A must have for all power brake models.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,479 Posts
Again, a bad switch.

But it looks like you might be missing a part. I found this when looking for a brake switch installation.

FROM CAMARO CENTRAL
1967 - 1969 Camaro Brake Pedal Stop Light Switch Striker Plate

New correct angled metal striker to activate your brake light switch. Correct for all 67, 68 or 69 Camaro models with power brakes. Mounts to your brake pedal to activate the brake stop light switch. A must have for all power brake models.

View attachment 293950
Georgia68 is correct. The striker is missing. Boy, I sure was brain dead on this as I made my own striker and one would think I would have remembered that. In fact I have a pattern for the striker that I provided for other members here. I'll see if I can find it. It is a PITA to install as I remember.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the continued replies. If there is any source for a pattern or a vendor for the actual striker, it will help quite a bit.

If anyone knows of a talented mechanic, who is also a gymnast that can contort oneself in a controlled manner on the floorboard of a '67, and also possesses keen eyesight, please let me know. (!)

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,479 Posts
My pattern is in post #10 in the attached thread link. Post #15 shows a striker one member made his using my pattern. The striker may now be available through Camaro Central or other vendors.

·
Registered
801 Posts
One place i could find a bracket. It is in Canada. 18 days from order to actual ship.
Firebird Stop Light Switch Striker Set, 1970-1981 (camarodepot.ca)

At Classic Industries, ad says, it is arriving soon. Better call to check on arrival date.
1967-1972 Chevrolet Camaro Parts | 14298 | 1967-72 Power Brake Switch Bracket | Classic Industries

Other than this, everyone else is out of stock.

Best to make your own and save customs and shipping.

Cant't help with eyes and limber body, I am 67 and have well used up my structure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Al and Georgia68. I'll be making my own, unless Classic's price is reasonable and their availability is immediate. I think I understand now what Al was saying about the foam and damn good tape - I bet that would be the stand-in for the striker.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Aluminum tape and a 3/8 nut tape on the pedal lever would work for awhile. Fill the nut with sealant and let dry, so no depression can be made.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see now the fabrication in post #5. I think you've given me a path to do something better, but now I can have a backup plan. ...I am wondering if a 3D printer could create a plastic(?) striker plate strong enough to do the job over many years. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts