Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 has a very firm ride,you feel all the bumps in the road. The car has an 1 1/4" solid front sway bar and a rear sway bar. It also has KYB shocks all around. The front suspension has been rebuilt with poly urethane. I'm thinking the massive sway bar is at least part of the problem. I would like to have a responsive but less firm ride. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks,

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've heard that the KYB shocks are valved extremely firm. You may want to try swapping those out. I haven't had them myself. I am running Bilsteins as part of the hotchkis TVS system. The ride is firm but not too bad.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Some on here will say the rear bar is not really needed and I agree, the Bilsteins helped out my ride a bit. Also loosen and retorque all the suspension fastners with the car on the ground. Loosen up rear shackles, bounce car around, retighten.

·
Premium Member
5,987 Posts
It is more likely the poly bushings and KYBs than the sway bar. I say that because your setup sounds similar to mine but I have the stock sway bar, poly bushings and KYB gas-a-just shocks. On the front, I changed to KYB GR-2 and that helps. On the rear I am experimenting with some NAPA cheapo shocks. They ride better but don't keep the rear as stiff in the corners. I've driven a car with Hotckis TVS and it was great. I'm leaning toward that eventually.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,378 Posts
It is more likely the poly bushings and KYBs than the sway bar. I say that because your setup sounds similar to mine but I have the stock sway bar, poly bushings and KYB gas-a-just shocks. On the front, I changed to KYB GR-2 and that helps. On the rear I am experimenting with some NAPA cheapo shocks. They ride better but don't keep the rear as stiff in the corners. I've driven a car with Hotckis TVS and it was great. I'm leaning toward that eventually.
+1. I'm not sure you could build in more "stiction" than you have with the KYBs and poly bushings.

My (now sold) '68 ran a 1.125" front sway bar and 650lb./in. front springs and was surprisingly smooth riding because of the Delrin/Del-alum front UCA/LCA bushings and Koni shocks.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
if youre using the white KYB shocks (gas-a-just) those are way to stiff (feels like you're driving a floor jack?) switch to the KYB GR-2 shock much softer and cheap (about 20 bucks a pop) and a very capable shock, or if you have the budget use a QA1 adjustable,

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I only have KYB in the rear and yes, it is too stiff!! KYB Gas Adjust are just to firm for these cars.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
The bilsteins are the best with hotchkis, they engineer their springs to be used with them. We have also done some konis with hotchkis with good results. QA1 is a good choice, we do sell them but big $$$$ over bilsteins

1 - 10 of 10 Posts