Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
built new engine (see sig for specs), run good , shut it off, nextday, NOTHING!

thought it would be a miss-adjust holley carb, so i bought a new edelbrock, STILL NOTHING!

i took out a sparkplug and noticed it was dry, it sparks , the fuel delivery is good because when i hit the gas it squirts fuel out of those 2 holes in the carb(forgot the name).

Starterfluid doesnt help either!!!
What should i check for?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Is the choke properly adjusted? Those carbed engines are tempermental. Most of them require a quick stab of the throttle before starting. This gives the engine a shot of fuel and sets the choke. Pumping it too much or not at all can cause all sorts of wierd problems. Do you smell gas when cranking like it is flooded? To "un-flood" a motor, you'll have to crank it with the pedal to the floor. This lets the maximum amount of air into the motor to burn up the excess fuel.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all tried, nothing

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Place a vacuum gauge at full-time manifold vacuum. Keep throttle closed, crank engine to start. Vacuum reading should be 1-2 inches/water, with a new engine. If not, then you might have a large vacuum leak.

I'm sure you've done the timing light trick to make sure spark occurs at the right time.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
You may end up having to make friends with someone that can help you one on one. You aren't giving us much to go on to diagnose it. When you reply "all tried - nothing" I'm not getting a warm fuzzy. For example I asked you if you smelled fuel indicating the engine was flooding and you had no comment. Did you really try it all? I'm not convinced. I think your problem is going to require an experienced set of hands and eyes.

[ 01-08-2004, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: dnult ]

·
Registered
920 Posts
If you have tried all of this, I have a hard time believing that with absolutely no life to the engine with starter fluid (no occasionally catching cylinders...rough firing...something to indicate life) that it isn't the ignition system?

Even mal timed ignition systems will show life with fuel and esp starter fluid.

I would be looking at a very week spark that will NOT deliver under compression or in that department. Do you see a full 12.5 volts the distributor? What do you see when cranking? Are you pulling the battery so low that it cannot supply the ig coil enough wattage etc.

Simply put, if fuel is going down the intake, it has to be in the ignition or you broke the timing chain I hate to mention? But, if your distributor is turning and you say you have a visual spark then that is out!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, the battery was indeed a little low on juice, so i did charge the battery all night.

right now my starter is skipping, so i have to retighten the screws of that starter, after that ill try to start it again, hope it works.

ill let you know
thanks

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i gave it another go, but still nothing!

spark appears to be pretty bright and vacuum is good too.
And theres no flooding.

This project is now going on for 4 years, it ran better and was looking better the day before i started this project.

Quess i just dont have that talent, like u guys have.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
thats crazy talk robert ;) . i know it can be frustrating when things just don't go as planned, but you'll get it!
also, dont get down on yourself, because none of us "gearheads" were born with the knowledge, it was learned by doing what your doing now, and most imortantly learning firsthand from someone who has already been there. i started working on cars well before i was a teenager, and i still learn something new everytime i pick up a wrench (and no i'm not 14
)
at this point you really need to find someone that can come over and help you out, i'll bet your way closer than you think you are.
you'll get it

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I do my best learning when I'm a$$ deep in it. This will be a good experience - trust me. It may not seem like it at the time, but will afterward I assure you. Just buy the beer and don't drink to much of it until you get the car back together. Fuel, fire, and air the three components - one of which is lacking or out of balance with the other two.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Do you have a distributor engine? No go with starter fluid makes me think the timing dropped out on you. Some gears have given problems then there's the timing chain. Maybe recheck TDC.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Com'on here? YOu have got to be kidding!

IF you have fuel going down the intake, better yet starting fluid and it won't even make a pop...then I still think the ignition system is STILL suspect? What else can it be? Change the coil! Also if you have an HEI change the module along with the coil. Just because you see a spark does NOT mean that it's present under the duress of compression!

If you have some fancy smancy ignition system..ditch it for a performance upgraded HEI or substitute something in there to get a grip. If you have points, which I doubt, reset the dwell and change the coil.

Does it crank and just no catch at all? If so, it's got to be ignition. Make sure to check your ground to your engine. I have seen this happen before where the engine is relatively isolated electrically.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just fixed my starter, and i placed my good working carburetor from my other camaro on this engine, so that cant be the problem.

Ill takethe distributor from my good camaro and place it on this engine too.

is it really possible that the timingchain skipped a few teeth???

It ran good until i shut it off.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Maybe make sure the butterfly valves are opening. There might be something wrong with the linkage. I really think if you looked and the linkage is checking out it's ok.
But here's what just happened to me. Could crank all day after letting the car sit for a month then after heavy rains it wouldn't start. Poked around under the hood and found the initial squirt was great but subsiquint attempts weren't working. One squirt and a seperate part of the linkage would bind and stick due to corrosion so no more squirting action. Good thing I didn't figure roll it down hill for a start.
There has to something funny if varying amounts of starter fluid dont work. Dont juice the heck out of the carb to try and start. The stuff isn't nice to the engine.
I think it's distributor cap off, number one spark plug out and for the rotor pointing at the number one spark plug hole. Front right looking at the car from the front? Check to see if the cylinder is near top dead center at least.
Probably the best way to cheat is have somebody else crank the car while you take a shot at shocking yourself turning a loose distributor trying to find it's right place to get a good spark.
First thing I'd do to get rid of thinking vacume for a while is have somebody crank and hold my hand over the intake.
Gotta go. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i took the carb and distributor from my good running camaro and placed it on the new engine.

checked timing, checked spark,checked fuel, checked vacum,checked compression, still NOTHING!!!

AAAAAARGH!!!!

ill take apart the whole camaro and use it for spare parts, this camaro is just evil!!

im going to get drunk now, bye.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
OK assuming you have fuel going into the manifold, and spark going to the cylinders. The only thing between those things that could prevent the two from mixing are the valves. Are you sure they valves are moving? Pull a valve cover, and watch them move. Then when both the number one cylinder valves are closed, and the timing mark on the balancer is pointing to the TDC timing mark on the timing cover. Then make sure the distributor is them pointing at the number one cylinder terminal.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
all done... :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts