Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be doing a disc brake conversion soon. I see most kits seem to include 2" drop spindles. Why do so many people go with the 2" drop?

I don't want to influence answers so I'll leave it at that:grin2:

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
IMHO stay with a Stock spindle. Too many guys go for the lowered stance and end up having some sort of issues. If you want a lowered front end, install lowering springs. Just my .02

Reactions: Coach62

·
13,971 Posts
I would not do lowered spindles Sometimes the tie rods hit the wheels

Reactions: Coach62 and MangeMD

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
If you are going to do it you should buy a whole setup like the Ridetech Tru-turn system this way you get the improved steering and handling along with the lower.

·
19,837 Posts
IF you have or plan to install tubular lower A-arms, the drop spindles will be too much since the tubular arms lower you also.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,514 Posts
Maybe I should have asked the question before I purchased my tubular control arms with 2" drop spindles. I am in the process of installing it this weekend, so I will soon find out. I did purchase the Ridetech system for my 72 Chevelle and it seemed to work very nicely, even with the weight of the 454 and 6-71 blower up front. Guess I can report back after the install and let you know how it sets up. I also replaced all steering linkage as well as upgrading to the 1-1/8 diameter sway bar.

Attachments

·
19,837 Posts
Maybe I should have asked the question before I purchased my tubular control arms with 2" drop spindles. I am in the process of installing it this weekend, so I will soon find out. I did purchase the Ridetech system for my 72 Chevelle and it seemed to work very nicely, even with the weight of the 454 and 6-71 blower up front. Guess I can report back after the install and let you know how it sets up. I also replaced all steering linkage as well as upgrading to the 1-1/8 diameter sway bar.
Looks like you have coil-overs, you should be fine. :beers:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please do fill me in. I'm some weeks away from doing this upgrade.

Also - I'd like some feedback on the larger sway bars. I hear they work, but make the ride stiffer.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
I don't think I'd go with a conversion kit that wants you to install drop spindles on a first gen. Camaro. It's not China Performance Parts is it ?
Most Lowering kits I looked at had lowering springs or coilovers,get disc brakes that work with either of those setups.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
It appears that I have installed the steering link in the wrong location (I hope), because the way it currently sits, it will not work. The steering link clearly hits the anti-sway bar when turning. The problem could be the same as everyone is saying when I relocate the link down into the lower holes-the tie rod might hit the lower part of the wheel. I will relocate the steering link and report back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
It appears that I have installed the steering link in the wrong location (I hope), because the way it currently sits, it will not work. The steering link clearly hits the anti-sway bar when turning. The problem could be the same as everyone is saying when I relocate the link down into the lower holes-the tie rod might hit the lower part of the wheel. I will relocate the steering link and report back.
Yep, steering arm goes in lower holes. They cannot move higher with the spindle or it messes up the steering geometry.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Okie Dokie, Have it all put together. It currently is sitting too low. I am hoping that cranking on the spring adjustment nut will raise it to an acceptable height, otherwise, just the addition of the tubular control arms and the coil overs were enough and the 2" drop spindles were too much. anyway, there are no interference issues initially. Everything clears pretty good (except tires-haha).

Attachments

·
19,837 Posts
Problem is the pockets where the springs would go and the shocks bolt up is deeper than a stock A-arm making the car sit lower. You could use a spacer if you had stock style coils...but I think with an adjustment of the coils, you'll be fine.

·
13,971 Posts
QA1 makes a spacer that goes on top of the coil.
Problem is the pockets where the springs would go and the shocks bolt up is deeper than a stock A-arm making the car sit lower. You could use a spacer if you had stock style coils...but I think with an adjustment of the coils, you'll be fine.
Depends on if you have enough shock travel to raise the car 2"s without it topping out or coming close enough that it tops out when driving the car

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
That is the brand of coil overs- QA1. I will look into it. As soon as I can, I'll drive it and report back as to the handling and ride. I need to bleed the brakes first.

·
19,837 Posts
True John...was thinking only an inch should do it....but best to check. Driving around with shocks topped out ain't good for the shocks or ride quality.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you are going to do it you should buy a whole setup like the Ridetech Tru-turn system this way you get the improved steering and handling along with the lower.

I just did this with ridetech and so far no problems, I did have to adjust the coilovers up 3/4 inch as the tire was rubbing on full turn. But the advantage is that I CAN adjust the height up and down

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
I just did this with ridetech and so far no problems, I did have to adjust the coilovers up 3/4 inch as the tire was rubbing on full turn. But the advantage is that I CAN adjust the height up and down
I totally agree if you can afford it. The Ridetech system I purchased for my 72 Chevelle was complete and designed to work together. The Muscle Bars were quite expensive ($500 front/$750 rear) but I think was worth it. I could be wrong, but I think you can order the Ridetech system with either the 2" drop or standard. Front and rear adjustable system was $4200 back in 2012. I was really happy with the complete purchase, both the assembly and the ride/handling aspect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts