Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 6AL syetem and my tac dosen't work properly. It will only read to 1200 rpm. I have switched from the coil to the tac output on the box with no sucess. Do i need to buy the Tac adapter????????

·
19,786 Posts
Not 100% on that, but if it worked before the MSD, most likely will need the adapter.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If your tachometer doesn't read correctly after installing an MSD, you may need a Tach Adapter.

On GM vehicles, first remove the tach filter. There are two MSD Tach Adapters.

Contact MSD Tech with the manufacturer of your tach and what you have installed on it to determine which Tach Adapter you will need.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have an MSD 6AL and mine didn't need the adapter, even though I bought it ahead of time.... if you'd like, I'd sell you mine that I got from Year One here in Atlanta.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's Dwight for the offer but I have already bought one, just havent hooked it up yet. You mentioned that u are running the same setup with no problems, may I ask how u have your tac hooked up??

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a factory tach and the same MSD setup. All I did was run the wire from the coil to the MSD box and everything worked fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's what I did also. I'm not sure why some would work and some wouldn't. Keep in mind that I purchased a GM Restoration Tach from Rick's, so I'm not sure if there's a mechanical difference between the originals and the newer Tachs. *Shrug*

·
Registered
318 Posts
which wire from coil and where did you hook it up to msd??? i have the 6al and pro billet distributor...

"I have a factory tach and the same MSD setup. All I did was run the wire from the coil to the MSD box and everything worked fine. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found out the problem was the tach. I had bought it off of e-bay, it was susposed to work??? I bought a oer and it's working fine. Thanks for the intrest in the post.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Originally posted by Fathom rs/ss:
I found out the problem was the tach. I had bought it off of e-bay, it was susposed to work??? I bought a oer and it's working fine. Thanks for the intrest in the post.
Is the OER tach one with the metal face, or are they still doing the plasic face with a sticker?

I bought a repro tach when they came out, and determined the quality to be unacceptable. I paid the $300+ for an orginal, which BTW, works fine with my Accel 300+ ignition box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts