Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be brief, I had the car at a shop to get a new engine rebuilt along with suspension etc. They took my money, most of my stock original parts and almost my car. I just put in a SBC 383 with a MSD dist. and 6al box.

Its been 8 years since the car has ran, and I dont remember what wires go to or what I even need to use anymore. The car was a A/C car, and I removed it. Im sure some of the wiring wont be used.

I need to know what wires go to what. I took pictures of the factory wiring that I dont know what they are used for. Hopefully you can help me out.

These wires are near the stock washer fluid tank, on the driver side. I believe 2 of them go to the voltage regulator?

This wire goes into the firewall.

These three come out of a harness that goes the length of the firwall and come out above the washer fluid pump.

Passenger side of car, starting closest to fire wall toward front of car. The harness these wires come out of, comes out of the firewall above the passenger side valve cover.
Three connectors

1 wire connector.

2 connectors

Last connector, wire is green and very long, it runs toward the front of the car.

1 connector and 1 eyelet these run out of a harness that comes out of the passenger side wheel well.

This wire Behind the radiator support.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
Wow! I ll try thebest I can. The first pic is what you think.Thats voltage regulator wires.
The second...the one that goes into firewall. I think that goes to the idle solenoid on the old Rochester carb. I dont recall the connector being a round type, i thought they were stake on connectors
Third one went to your old stock coil. Dont use that for your MSD, you need a full 12 volts.
fourth, those went to the various switches on the AC box, such as fan relay and ambient temp switch
fifth goes to the ambient temp switch
sixth goesto fan
7th..dunno
8th. is that a double pic from the 2nd pic?
9th. Let me go out to the garage, and see.

This is fun. You need a schematic/assembly manual.

And bummer about the car shop.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The second to last pic isnt a double. Those wires run out of a harness thast comes out of the passenger side fender well.

If the Third pic wires went to my coil what are the wires in the 5th pic in the foreground? I thought those went to the coil?

Thanks for the helping, I hate wiring but dont have the money to pay someone. I have to try.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to think about getting a new wire harness. One w/out A/C and with MSD.

I have thought of that, but Im so short on money I wouldnt be able to do so for months. I wanted to try and get this harnes to work just to have it run.

I was on AAW earlier looking. They have 4 or 5 different harnesses for the SBC version. I would have no clue what harness or harnesses to buy.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
The fifth in the foreground, down by the engine?? looks like it goes to the starter. the two wires, brown and green that goes into the connector.... That will connect to the ambient temp switch on the ac box you dont have.

You really need a schematic. I dont have one electonically here at home, someone should be able to help.

I would work one problem area at a time. Ask for help wiring the voltage regulator. Once complete go to the starter wiring. After that go to the MSDS. All the A/C stuff can be taped up and not worried about.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Mike.
Go to the electrical basics sticky at the top of this section and there is a section for wiring diagrams.
#1 might also be horn relay
#2 looks like either high speed for the A/C blower or power for power windows or convertible top? it should hook up to a circuit breaker on the firewall.

#4 is the air conditioning harness.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where would this cuircult breaker be on the firwall? The car does have power windows, it is a hard top. Im trying to figure out what else the shop might have taken off the car as to what I need.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. even that long green wire, its about 4 feet long. Its in pic 7, you can see it again running toward the radiator in pic 8.

What about the wire in the last pic?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The circuit breaker is slightly above and to the right of the master cyl.

it gets power from a large red wire that goes along the inner fender to the horn relay.

The long green wire is for the A/C compressor
the last one? maybe to the junction block or the horn relay or voltage regulator. the fusible link has me confused.

TTFN
Mat

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
If you want some live help shoot me a PM. I'm unemployed and available most any time after Tuesday of next week. I could shoot up to Rockford and lend a hand. I might be able to find a wiring diagram, if not I've got years of automotive electrical experience. I believe MattK has the most accurate info above.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
These wires are near the stock washer fluid tank, on the driver side. I believe 2 of them go to the voltage regulator?
Two U-shaped go to the horn relay buss bar.
Black ground?

This wire goes into the firewall.
Power window power source to ckt breaker as shown earlier.

Passenger side of car, starting closest to fire wall toward front of car. The harness these wires come out of, comes out of the firewall above the passenger side valve cover.
Three connectors are for resistor block for fan, and fan power.

1 wire connector.
Don't know.

Last connector, wire is green and very long, it runs toward the front of the car.
Idle up solenoid for when compressor comes on.

1 connector and 1 eyelet these run out of a harness that comes out of the passenger side wheel well.
Alternator hookup, red to BAT, connector plugs into external reg alternator.
See my answers inside the quote. My guesses.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
If you dont have the AIM Assembly Instruction Manual for your 69, better get it. It has wiring diagrams with color of wires noted and where they go. Its one of the best books you can own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts