Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm getting ready to put the new underlay, carpet, trunk divider, and carpet guard in my `69.

I ordered from Classic and I think I may have over ordered. I got the trunk divider panel and the jute padding. The divider panel already has jute padding on it. Do I need both? Which side of the divider faces the trunk? I'm guessing the cardboard side. Correct?

The carpet appears to have some padding already molded to it. Is this supposed to supplement or replace the underlay kit?

The underlay pieces have a shiney side and a dull side. Which side goes to the floor? The shiney side almost looks like it's supposed to peel off, but on the piece I tried to peel off, it didn't.

I'm thinking of using a spray adhesive to tack the underlay to the floor before I install the carpet. Is that a good idea?

The broken carpet guard that came out of the car was held in by a couple of sheet metal screws. The pieces I got for replacement are plastic clips. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Ron Riley
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The jute padding is supposed to go under the rear package tray. Don't bother - it makes the package tray fit poorly. The original trunk divided did not have any jute at all. Therefore, if you want to look original from the trunk area, you need to install the divider with the jute padding facing forward.

Can you tell me how you are going to use your car? The stock underlay pieces are virtually useless. If you really want to deaden the sound, buy and install some Dynamat sound deadener or a knock-off product that does the same thing. Be warned that Dynamat is not cheap - but it works.

The padding attached to the carpet supplements the underlay pieces. I installed some repro underlay pieces several years ago and remember that they did not have any adhesive.

If you didn't notice, the floorpans should have carpet glue sprayed on them. GM glued the carpet down at the factory. I would recommend gluing the new carpet down too. It makes the installation much easier. trial fit the carpet first and get happy with the fit. Cut the holes for the seat belts and seat frame bolts. Spray glue on the tranny tunnel first, center the carpet, and prss down. Once the center is glued down, install each side of the carpet using glue to hold it down.

Please describe the carpet guard further. I don't recognize that part.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 6/10/02 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The carpet guard is th eplastic piece that goes under the steering column.

It is held in place by a couple of screws with large fender washers. I don't recall any clips.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Summit or Jegs isn´t a bad place to start. Try Crutchfield too.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750

1 - 7 of 7 Posts