Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought some Clay Kitty litter to place under the car to absorb any humidity that might come up from the concrete in my heated garage(As some have recomended)..My question is what do I do with the Kitty Litter...Do I place it on trays and slide them under the car...Or do I just spread it out on the bare concrete floor under the car???

Also does this Kitty Litter thing really help..Thanks

------------------
Restored 76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed..# matching
-------------------------
Restored 68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected
http://community.webshots.com/user/badcaiman

[This message has been edited by Badcaiman (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David..I don't get it???..What exactly do you mean snipe Hunting???

Do you mean Snipe as in the bird

Or as the verb intransitive sniped

To shoot at an exposed individuals from concealed advantage..(Like from behind a keyboard)

Or in the form of a snide remark (Somewhat like your post to my question
)
-----------------------------
Is this like Snipe hunting?
David
-----------------------------

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

[This message has been edited by Badcaiman (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On another post it was recomended the use of cat litter to absorb humidity under the car during storage...The question I am asking is whether it should be placed directly on the ground or on pans under the car...Thanks

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Why use cat litter? It will attract & retain moisture from the air, exactly what you dont't want. The stuff stays wet forever. Most people here park the car on a sheet of plastic or use indoor/outdoor carpeting.

S

·
0 Posts
If you can afford to, I recommend using an epoxy product. See your local paint dealer. one note though, the drying time is usually stated as 3-4 days but either use a heater or allow a week as they are optimistic about the drying time. If you don't let it cure good it may stick to your tires. Good luck!

------------------

67 Nemesix

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys..I really appreciate the info....I have to rule out the paint Idea..Since the car has already been set up for storage and don't want to do it all over again..Never thought about the Cat litter actualy attracting moisture and causing problems that way...Have to re-think this cat litter Idea...Thanks again

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

·
Registered
205 Posts
something going to absorb moisture especially on concrete its either the catlitter/stay-dry or your car. ive always heard having natural wood walls and floors are the best place to store cars because the wood absorbs the moisture. not sure how painting the floor would help? if no other option use the litter in pans around/under car change it or put it in the sun and dry it out periodicly.
BTW- have you thought about a dehumidifier.
------------------
chris
1980 Z/28
350 .60 over stock bottom end world products torker2s 280H compcam edel.performer rpm,holly 750 dual feed.
2200 stall,- but still not done.

[This message has been edited by the mechanic (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The kitty litter would work in much the same way as an industrial desicate. It will attract and hold moisture so to be effective you would have to replace it regularly and dry the used in a separate location. In my view a good location to place it would be right inside each tire.

·
10,147 Posts
It kinda sounded like someone was putting you on!

The Recreational Vehicle places sell desicant kits.
One thing that really helps is heat, which you have, and air circulation.
My buddy has a garage where the floor would get wet in the winter. He started leaving the garage door open a crack and opened the window on the opposite side a little. The floor stays dry now. Just that little air movement was a big difference.

The other thing is if there is any way you can leave your car out where it can dry before bringing it inside the garage.
I think the moisture you bring in is what you should try to reduce.
If you had moisture on the cement floor, I could see how spreading kitty litter on the floor would draw it up and expose it to the air for drying.
The worst place to leave a car is in a car trailer with any kind of leaky roof.
I had a new enclosed trailer and it had a small roof leak which caused a sauna like effect when the water evaporated during the sunny day, but condensed on the cold metal parts of the car at night.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
100 Posts
i used kitty litter for years and it never got wet and i never had to replace it duing the winter. i put 4 pans about 3 to4 inches deep in the canter of the car from bumper to bumper. if you have heat with no humidifier the furnuce will make it dry as hell.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i used kitty litter for years and it never got wet and i never had to replace it duing the winter. i put 4 pans about 3 to4 inches deep in the canter of the car from bumper to bumper. if you have heat with no humidifier the furnuce will make it dry as hell. i never used clay, just the cheepest stuff i could find

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
YES PUT THE LITTER DOWN UNDER YOUR CAR AND THEN GO OUTSIDE OF YOUR GARAGE AND LOOK FOR A JACKELOPE! THEY ARE ATTRACTED BY THE SCENT OF KITTY LITTER ON CEMENT!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jackelope..ahahah..How clever
.. Very witty first post
.. {ZMania} By the way it is considered shouting to type in all caps..

ZMania Stated"" YES PUT THE LITTER DOWN UNDER YOUR CAR AND THEN GO OUTSIDE OF YOUR GARAGE AND LOOK FOR A JACKELOPE! THEY ARE ATTRACTED BY THE SCENT OF KITTY LITTER ON CEMENT!""

------------------
Restored 55 chevy Belair
Blown, Fuel Injected

[This message has been edited by Badcaiman (edited 10-31-2001).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts