Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its getting close to that time when our cars will be stored for the winter (at least on the East coast). I'v had my car for the summer and never stored one before.

How do you store your car? What are the things we should do to protect it during the winter months? Has anyone had experience with one of those car bags?

Any tips, recomendations or problems you have had would be great to hear about!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Just drive it to a fellow Team Camaro members house in Southern California, we'll take care of it, wash it, drive it around town once a week, maybe even wax it for yea, it doesn't rain much here and it hardly gets below 50 on the coldest nights.

Edit: Sorry for posting such a useless comment, I'm an a**

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I've been garage-storing my "toys" through six-month Michigan winters for 40 years; I just fill the fuel tank, air up the tires to 35-40 psi, close the windows, and put a dust cover on them; once every couple of weeks I put a "Battery Tender" on each one for a day or so until the light turns green. When spring finally comes, I just pull the cover, re-set the tire pressure and drive them. Any "flat-spotting" disappears after a mile or two of driving. These cars aren't that fragile. Rodents are a far more serious concern for some folks than anything else, but I've never had that problem. Fuel stabilizers aren't necessary for six-month winter storage; the colder it is, the less likely is any breakdown of the fuel - just fill the tank to minimize any condensation. Do NOT put it "up on blocks" with the suspension hanging free - that will destroy the suspension bushings.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I agree that its better to store it with a wet fuel system. Draining the gas will lead to problems. Filler up with fresh fuel just after adding a can of "Stabil" (sic?) Modern day gas seems to go south within a few months. Some folks will say to pull the plugs and shoot a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder an crank it over a couple of times. I guess it depends on how long you plan to store it and how humid it is where you are.

-dnult

·
Registered
125 Posts
Before I go to the gas station for the last time, I add a bottle of Sta-bil, fill it up, disconnect the battery, cover it up, and tell her I'll see you in the Spring! Been doing this for 15 plus years now and have never had a problem. Our winters in Nor Cal are pretty mild, though.

Tim

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine is getting driven during the winter. The only days I won't drive it is when it is raining, snowing, or there is salt still on the roads from the last snow storm and before a rain washes the salt off. It gets started at least once or twice a week anyway and run up to operating temperature.

I do store my boat and put some stabil in the tank after I fill it up. I also disconnect the batteries. No problem with mice, but I hear some moth balls work to keep them away.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I do a little of each of the listed things. I fill the gas tanks, over fill the tires, unhook the batteries, and cover the cars. The garage is heated and keep it about 50 - 55 in there. I don't have any rodent problems (Thank God). I do get each of the ladies out for a drive or two during the winter months provided there is no snow, salt or even any moisture on the roads (I know I am obessive). I have pics of our Camaros on the Missouri F-Body Association at www.mofba.net and on World Wide Camaro Association's on-line Show and Shine.

[ 10-31-2003, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: 69X11SS ]

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
A month or so ago I had the pleasure of meeting a gentleman and got to tour his collection of about 60 unrestored fully functioning pre 1949 Lincons. Many of the cars are Pebble Beach Concours unrestored blue ribbon winners. All run and drive!! He leaves the tanks full, runs the carbs dry, makes sure the tires are fully inflated and disconnects the batterys on his cars. It takes him less than a hour to prep a car and have it heading down his driveway...

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I winterized my motorcycle one year by draining the carbs. The next spring I went to start it and the carbs overflowed. I ended up doing a carb rebuild because they were full of varnish. From that point forward I store them wet with fuel stabilizer in them.

-dnult

·
Registered
112 Posts
I put Stabil in about 1 week b4 storing my car. I try to put a few miles just to make sure it runs through the carb.
Mice traps, some sonar thing I plug into an electrical outlet and a car cover.
About once a month I start the car and let it run for about 20 min. turn it off, disconnect the battery and cover her up for the next month.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'v heard people talk about putting plastic on the garage floor to keep moisture from under the car, putting packages of desiccant inside the trunk, interior, and under the hood to absorb moisture.

Does anyone do these or similar things? Where is a good place to get desiccant? How much do you need?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Originally posted by kencar69:
I'v heard people talk about putting plastic on the garage floor to keep moisture from under the car,
I've never known for sure if this is necessary since I dont know how much moisture can come up through 8" of concrete but just to be sure I coated my concrete with Thompsons Water Seal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Her is a link to a moisture absorber: Moisture absorber
Or you could look for this product at Wal-Mart and similar places: Damp-Rid I have also heard that you can place a couple of hand-fulls of regular old charcoal briquets in a container to absorbe moisture. It might also be a good idea to put out a box of mouse bait and check it periodicaly to see if they are present.

Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts