Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my wife is giving me grief over the now restored camaro taking up the garage during the winter months. She wants me to buy a car trailer to store it in. I have an insulated 2 car attached garage now but I will not let her park in there if her car is wet or if the roads have had salt(or other chemicals) applied due to bad weather. A new garage is not possible in the current location and there are no plans to move anytime soon.

I did a search to see what was recommended but really didn't find what I was looking for.

Obviously moisture is a concern. And heat. I was thinking a small fan running continuously and maybe a radiator type heater (no open elements) but those things being on constantly make me nervous. Any suggestions/ comments.

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by 69nstyle (edited 12-11-2002).]

·
Registered
579 Posts
Do what i did,carefully explain to the wife how modern cars (hers) are so far superior in design to my (yours) old car.They are virtually airtight,watertight,modern paint and galvinized underbody that they dont need to be garaged.Oh yes,and buy her an auto start for when its cold out.

·
Super Moderator
33,291 Posts
You do have a couple alternatives:

One of my neighbors has a canvas garage. Looks like Kimbley-Clark's Evolution 3 material about a metal frame resembling a quonset hut. Zipper for the door.

Another would be to look for a storage facility and rent a space. Maybe even rent a garage, check classifieds?

An enclosed trailer would be ideal, especially since the wife suggested to go buy one. I'd be on the phone to Hallmark the very minute they opened the store.

Another idea is to rent a, they call'em conex boxes. You can rent them from William Scot Rentals. E-mail them at [email protected] or call 757-548-3125.

I don't think temperature has anything to do with preserving, its the absence of humidity that will help keep from rusting. And, of course, no sunlight or ultraviolent rays.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"

·
Registered
269 Posts
Only problem I can see is what happened up by my place. Our dog groomer had a real nice 69 Camaro RS - White with orange stripes. She had it in an enclosed trailer behind her business in a locked fenced in area. Someone broke into the lot one night, hooked up the trailer and she hasn't seen either the trailer or the Camaro since.

Make sure both are secure.

You might also check with your insurance company (household and auto) before doing this. Also, make sure that your insurance would cover storing your car in one of the storage places.

------------------
1967 RS 327 M3
2001 Black Z28 convertible

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
Also check around word of mouth on elders who go to FL or AZ for winter. My folks left last week and rented their garage for the winter to a Dr. who has a Porche to store. They get $50 a month for an otherwise empty garage all winter. Maybe someone is in nursing home and cant drive anymore and has an extra stall available. Ask around other seniors. They have a very good gossip ring in most areas.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have to admit that I never thought of that one click...! Great idea...
I ran into some folks that I work with and they had a rental home that was empty this summer and indicated that I could use the garage at the rental to store my 67. I'd never thought about checking with snowbirds for empty garages for the winter.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
871 Posts
If there is room in your 2-car garage, check into one of those 'baloon'
covers for your Camaro. You drive your car onto/into it, zip it up and inflate it. It will be self contained and your wife can still park in the garage.

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Enclosed trailers do sweat and they will get cold inside if it freezes real bad. I used to keep the dragster in one. I would not recommend putting a nicely restored car in one. I have two of those canvas storage deals they work fine for about 18 months then the sun flat kills them and you have to buy a new one. I think you have an underling problem with the wife and your car. If you can get that fixed maybe the car can stay put.

·
10,164 Posts
Sell her car!
Just kidding. Can you install a lift and store the car above another?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm still up in the air on this one. A car lift is out of the question as my garage is attached to the house with relatively low ceiling height and a roll-up garage door.

I may look into those bags though. They seem like they may be the ticket.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,507 Posts
Id say to keep it in the garage and free of contamination from the wife's vehicle you need one of these:

Or one of these if you want something smaller:

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Or do what I did: build an interior wall & ceiling within the garage complete with wallboard, insulation and separate garage doors! My garage is 20' x 20' and it works well, although ----- the bigger the better.

·
Premium Member
12,507 Posts
LOL I was moving a few threads and responding to a question about storing a vehicle during building construction and I got the five or six threads I had open confused somehow. Guess I have to go back to the pm and figure out who is who.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I used to rent the "other half" of a double garage for my 79 Vette. The first year I just parked it with the Technalon cover on it. The garage was attatched and heated. The one issue was that the other half was used by the owner and in Canada a car parked in a heated area causes a lot of metling and splashing. I had the aluminum wheels and luckily I would come by an run the car weekly. I noticed a few white spots on the wheels and realized it was salt. I immediatley polished them and put old blankets and plastic on the wheels. I never had an issue after that. The wheels did not have any damage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts