Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Batt" gauge on the my center console was pegged at +40 today when I was driving around town. After a while the needle would drop to about +20.
When I turn the engine off the gauge reads straight up "0".

Tonight I ran the engine long enough get to operating temp. The gauge read +20 at idle and would peg the gauge when I ran the rpm up.

I checked the battery with my volt meter. It read 16.5 volts @ idle. When I ran the rpm up it went passed 20 volts.

With the engine back at idle I tapped on the volt. reg and the volts dropped from 16.5 to 13.5 in about 10 seconds. The "Batt" now reads like I think it should. '0" @ idle and about +3 to +4 when I rev it up.

I say I need a new voltage regulator, what do you guys think?

Thanks, Fred

(It's probably the original ext. regulator. It looks like it's been mounted in the same place all it's life)

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Yep, sure sounds like it. Go with the VR715. I believe thats what it was. All electronic and put your old cover on it. No more problems.

·
Registered
453 Posts
(It's probably the original ext. regulator. It looks like it's been mounted in the same place all it's life)
Original regulators had points (something like points in a original distributer) that regulated voltage. Most likely they were stuck, causing your over voltage problem. Go with the VR715 or convert to a internally regulated alternator.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Do you have a 'points' file? If so, remove the cover and carefully dress the points. Or just install a new regulator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts