Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 Camaro gave me a good shock today that really surprised me. Please let me explain. I was sitting in my car, engine and ignition switch off, key in the swich, with the drivers door open and the key minder buzzer going off. I was holding the metal spokes of the rosewood wheel with both hands and I took both thumbs and pressed the horn button to hear my horns blow. I got a heck of a shock that I felt in both hands! This has never happened before, but then again I've never done this before. It's got me to wondering if all 69's would shock you like this and if so, I wonder how the electrical engineers at GM overlooked this when designing the car. Anybody out there willing to go try it on their rosewood wheel equipped 69 and see if they get the same results? Would love to hear some feedback on this one. :confused:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,457 Posts
Like the doctor says, "Don't do that."

Vinyl seat covers do it all the time along with the carpet - static electricity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
You might not have a good column ground for the horn button and it was trying to go through your body.
I know on some relays you can get a good shock from them unless they have a clamping diode on them.
Jim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
I'm fairly sure you've got something wrong, and it didn't do that from the factory, or it would have been a disaster for GM when these cars were produced.
Bad ground sounds like a good place to start...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
Congratulations!

You are the official ground path for your car's horn!

If you no longer wish to remain in this exaulted office, verify and repair the lowly wires that are supposed to do this job instead of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,887 Posts
My 69 Camaro gave me a good shock today that really surprised me. Please let me explain. I was sitting in my car, engine and ignition switch off, key in the swich, with the drivers door open and the key minder buzzer going off. I was holding the metal spokes of the rosewood wheel with both hands and I took both thumbs and pressed the horn button to hear my horns blow. I got a heck of a shock that I felt in both hands! This has never happened before, but then again I've never done this before. It's got me to wondering if all 69's would shock you like this and if so, I wonder how the electrical engineers at GM overlooked this when designing the car. Anybody out there willing to go try it on their rosewood wheel equipped 69 and see if they get the same results? Would love to hear some feedback on this one. :confused:
You should not be getting a big shock from just 12 VDC.
With dry hands i can't feel anything when I touch positive and negative on the battery.
Maybe with wet/sweaty hands you might feel a little, kind of like when you test a 9 V battery with your tongue.
Are you sure something else isn't going on?
Can you repeat it and/or measure the voltage present?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
732 Posts
If your going to repeat it as Ragtop suggests be sure to call the Mrs out to lend a hand! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
You should not be getting a big shock from just 12 VDC.
With dry hands i can't feel anything when I touch positive and negative on the battery.
Maybe with wet/sweaty hands you might feel a little, kind of like when you test a 9 V battery with your tongue.
Are you sure something else isn't going on?
Can you repeat it and/or measure the voltage present?
You won't get a big shock from just 12 volts but it's from the coil in the relay.

http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/appnotes/app_pdfs/13c3311.pdf

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,277 Posts
That'll happen. You could put a supression diode accross the relay coil to reduce the effect. Anytime a coil's voltage get's cut off abruptly, it'll develop a flyback voltage. When you let off the horn button you're essentially opening an inductive circuit (due to the relay coil) and opening the circuit while hanging on to the hot coil lead. If you're sweaty and well grounded you can feel a spike of voltage anywhere from 50 to 150 volts. It's shocking, but not fatal. Even 12Volts can feel like ants are crawling on you -- just enough to make you cut your arm on the screw sticking out of the dash as you yank your arm out from under it while working on a car radio. :eek:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top