Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to throw this out there. I know of a Z shell in a junkyard that is only a shell. Vin gone and cowl tag gone. That right there is the biggest issue. Shell is in pretty good shape last I seen it except someone cut the panel out behind the rear window. I know it was a Z because it had original paint that shows the Z28 emblem imprint on the rear panel, orig spoiler car, stripes on trunk lid stop before the end of the lid and it had the two different size trunk rods, hole in the firewall for the speedo cable associated with having a Muncie 4spd, duel exhaust hanger and I don't remember the other clues off hand. Vin is stamped in the firewall but is missing off the dash which is the biggest problem. Once the orig pnt was stripped and any work was done to this it would be very hard to prove it a Z unlike now. I know its still there but haven't seen it in a while. Put my head to rest so I don't think about it anymore. Is this a sad story of a fallen victim that I should stop thinking about due to the missing vin and cowl? Don't know why its there as it looked very savable last I seen it

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
If the price is right...............clone it!

It would be worth an apprieciable amount to someone with an orig Z (w/original vin/cowl) and a badly rusted shell.
The cost to originality would be huge if everything (minus the shell) had to be acquired in the NOS/used market.

just mt thoughts
joe c

·
3,176 Posts
Different parts of it could be cut to sell as parts. Roof panel and inner structure/ or just the drip rail channels themselves. The outter sail panel (roof) could be cut and sold for someone who needed a patch panel. Back window to truck panel could be sold.

What I am saying is best to part it out (cant believe i said that esp looking at the 68 I have in the carport). against the law to put a new/different VIN on the car.

? can you see the partial VIN on the firewall or under the cowl panel at all? If so can i get it for a matter of record.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If the VIN plate has been altered, it will be very difficult to obtain/prove ownership of the car. Any process that your state has will most likely include retagging the car, which basically kills the value of restoring it as a real Z.

Looks like someone else decided to fake a Z and just snatched the VIN plate to help with the scam. You should post the VIN # so members can be on the lookout.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Buy it if the price is reasonable, and either part it out or make it a project!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its tough for me to go there with a sawzall and do anything to it. I would also like to keep its whereabouts to myself, as mean as that sounds I don't mean anything by it
I don't have the vin handy but I did give it to Kurt at CRG a while ago when I first seen it for his records. I figured whoever owned it kept the vin and cowl for his next project, main reason for letting CRG know just in case it pops up. I will post the vin here soon, as soon as I locate it within the others I have, along with the colors ect so as to help pin down the cowl tag if it should happen to show up. Guess the shell stays as is :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I would find out what is involved in getting the correct VIN tag put back on it and titled in your state. If that's not too difficult or expensive, then if you can get the body for under $500 then it might be worth it to somebody to bring back from the dead. I see a lot of people that would buy a pile of junk for under $2500 because they can afford it thinking they'll be able to save it, but solid cars for $10,000 don't sell because most people don't have 10K to spend all at once.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know MA is pretty tough with the whole title thing. I guess if I were to think about doing something like this I should at least go look at it again and see what the guy would want for it, which having dealt with him in the past probably not much. Also check what shape it is in again. Before doing anything to it I would also have to document with pics or something to show its a Z. Having orig paint helps a bunch since the trunk stripes along with the top cowl area being painted for stripes, imprint of Z emblem on rear, ect. Once the paint is gone the only clues are the Muncie speedo cable hole and dual exhaust bracket which together dont prove anything. Was a vinyl top car too. If I can get back there soon and he lets me take my camera into his yard I will take some pics and post them. Thanks for the opinions

·
Registered
59 Posts
Am I the only one out there that has the vin on a tag on the body inside the drivers door? I don't have a vin on the dash, just inside the door. Could it be that this is the problem, just looking in the wrong place?

·
Registered
955 Posts
You might as well take the sawzall to it and get the cuttings you need. In every state it is illegal to possess a vehicle where the VIN plate has been removed. The only legal place it can be is a salvage yard and then only if they have the documentation to prove that they did not remove the plate. In accordance with federal law this scrap can only be returned to the street if it receives a VIN from your state which will look nothing like the original VIN. Therefore, It can never be a Z again. Just a car that was once a Z. I saw a 69 big block SS (cowl tag intact)in a salvage yard a year ago. It had been hit hard in the rear. The VIN plate was missing. I sighed and then started cutting.

RCFLIER if you have a 67 or 68, The VIN plate is located on the A-Piller. The VIN plate for 69 to present is located on the dash in public view as mandated by federal law.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You know what would be very cool....... finding an original one (preferably a special one like a Z/28 or something like that) and keep the paint job in original state like you fond it. I mean, don't touch the paint, and the stripes etc, but clean it up and put a layer of varnish(sp?) on it for protection and shine. Vague or missing parts of the stripe would be kinda cool (at least for me!).

I think someone found an original green '69 (Yenko?......Z/28?) in a barn I thought, and put pics on this website a few months ago. I also thought it had special 2-tone paint. I remember that Dennis (DjD), or clill also 'advised' to just clean it up and keep the paint in the present-day state...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.