Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I was installing new header gaskets with ARP bolts this weekend. The heads are TrickFlow aluminum pieces. Was using my 1/4" rachet when I felt it break loose - I stripped the bolt hole in the head. What are my options to "fix" this?

Feeling pretty stupid at the moment....Marty

------------------
Marty

69 Camaro, 350, TrickFlow heads, T5, 3.73

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sometimes you can put a stud in the hole and catch a couple threads at the bottom of the hole. A stud will hold quite a bit like this. Otherwise you'll have to put a thread insert in the hole. Talk to a local auto machine shop and they'll have a thread in insert that you have to drill out the hole bigger, put the insert on a bolt, and just turn it in. Helicoil is the best, but expensive and harder to use, but it might be worth the trouble with these heads though.

·
10,144 Posts
Take a good look in the hole. Maybe you only pulled out one thread and can chase out the threads and put a bolt back in.

I'd like to add that anyone with aluminum heads make shure you are using long enough bolts or the bolts will tend to loosen and/or strip.

Of course, when using longer header bolts, make shure they don't bottom out.
I think some Big Block bolts are a bit longer.
I've found that helicoils on aluminum castings help keep bolts from coming loose.
The aluminum doesn't hold the bolts very well by itself.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 10-29-2000).]

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had to "heli coil" one of mine before. Not a big problem if you have a straight shot on that bolt. The back ones are a different story though.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
That's why Edelbrock heads come stock with Helicoils in the header bolt holes. Also a good idea to use some anti-seize on the header bolts (should use it any time you thread a bolt into aluminum or into header bolt holes in either iron or aluminum heads).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 6 of 6 Posts