Team Camaro Tech banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing some 1" lowering blocks today. Should get the rear end perfect. Of course, its never a 10 minute job. The nuts on the left outside u-bolt are spinning. One won't tighten or loosen. It turns turn with just the ratchet, so I doubt that the impact will have any effect.

Any tips on getting these off? I don't have any heat and my cut off wheel won't fit in there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Installing some 1" lowering blocks today. Should get the rear end perfect. Of course, its never a 10 minute job. The nuts on the left outside u-bolt are spinning. One won't tighten or loosen. It turns turn with just the ratchet, so I doubt that the impact will have any effect.

Any tips on getting these off? I don't have any heat and my cut off wheel won't fit in there.

Thanks!
Try one of these...nut splitter...available most anywhere...got this one from Sears!

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Or try the cave man method: Vice grip the nut and pulling downward with great force as you loosen - should carve a path to the next groove and start to spiral down again.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Cutoff should be able to get to the top side above the perch against the axle. Buzz it and let it drop out. Parts store has new ones.

·
Banned
753 Posts
Why in the world wouldn't you follow the assembly manual and torque to factory settings using a torque wrench? My god, if there's any place you don't want to under-tighten or over-tighten its your suspension pieces.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Hammer a wedge between the bottom of the spring and top of the shock plate to create some downward pressure on the u-bolts. Not too much. Should make the nuts find the next thread.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. I went for the man-cave method at first, and no dice. Then tried the cutoff again and was able to get in there.

And Chet, I'm simply repairing errors made by the PO long ago. There were different sized and missing u-bolts, stripped threads, unsecured brake lines, etc. So little by little, we'll get there. :thumbsup:

Thanks again guys.

·
15,370 Posts
Why in the world wouldn't you follow the assembly manual and torque to factory settings using a torque wrench? My god, if there's any place you don't want to under-tighten or over-tighten its your suspension pieces.
Relax there Skippy. No need to be so condescending. A little constructive HELP and a suggestion or two on how to get through his current issue wouldn't be so tough to do, would it?

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Relax there Skippy. No need to be so condescending. A little constructive HELP and a suggestion or two on how to get through his current issue wouldn't be so tough to do, would it?
Not the 1st time for CRD.

·
Retired
26,594 Posts
I've never seen lowering blocks in the assembly manual! How do you know he was tightening it and not removing it? And for that matter how do you know he isn't planning to use a torque wrench once he's got the bolts snugged in place with a wrench or socket?

Sounds to me like you're jumping to conclusions and attacking nature indicates you don't have much hands on wrenching experience along with a general lack of understanding of when to use a torque wrench.

You should really try to live up to your screen name, not much "Cool" in your posts!

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
You're supposed to torque those to a spec????
I used a breaker bar and both legs til my back was bowed to tighten those grade 8 nuts.
I'll use Steiners' solution if I need to drop 'em.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I've never seen lowering blocks in the assembly manual! How do you know he was tightening it and not removing it? And for that matter how do you know he isn't planning to use a torque wrench once he's got the bolts snugged in place with a wrench or socket?

Sounds to me like you're jumping to conclusions and attacking nature indicates you don't have much hands on wrenching experience along with a general lack of understanding of when to use a torque wrench.

You should really try to live up to your screen name, not much "Cool" in your posts!
was not he invited to leave the forum

·
Banned
753 Posts

Maybe you should live up to your new status of "retired" and not worry about what I post if not directed to you. But that's not your style is it?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
maybe you should try reading the questions that are asked and offer helpful advice based on your endless years of experience...

·
Banned
753 Posts
Here's the advice that any of you so-called rodders and machinists should have told him after he accurately described the situation in his subsequent post......take your cutoff wheel or sawzall and cut the bolts off at the top. You cant use them again, they should be replaced after they have been torqued because the threads are rolled, not cut. The threads get distorted when torqued. Because of that distortion, the proper torque cannot be maintained when the nuts are loosened then retightened. Glad I'll never ride in some you the death traps you call Camaros.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
at least ours are drivable
it's just a shame that everyone on this forum does not have the wealth of knowledge YOU caim to have.
just imagine if that were true, there would be no need for this forum or YOU

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.