Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gathering up all my 383 parts, going into a 1970 CE 010/020 block. Laid profiled crank in and mocked up one Compstar rod on piston to check rod /block clearance. Looks like Arp cap screw hits the outer lower cly area. How are you 383 guys handing the grinding. I was hoping to find about what is needed to lay a grinder stone to , but rotate the rod out of the way so I can get a good fit. Is that what everyone is doing? Anyone have an idea how much meat is in this corner just below pan rails. Seems to have more meat and no factory knotches when compared to earlier blocks. Rails are a good ways from bolts so I am ok there.

My other thought would be to mock up rods for each rod pair and do the same then move to next one. I intend to cover the area to keep grind shaving contained. This is a trail fit for everything and all will get a good bath before final assembly.

Jim? Anybody?

·
3,666 Posts
Don,
There is no easy way out. We use old rod bearings and an old piston if we have one, then get out the die grinder. By the way, a carbide cutter will work a lot faster than a stone. You will be two days with the stone.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all, while I was waiting for a reply, I mocked up 2 pistons and rods and did two at a time and checked piston deck while I was there. Pretty simple, I have a min of .055 ( the thickness of a large nylon tye. Checked counter weight and rod side clearance as well as capscrew bolt head. Got a good feel of what I need to deck block now. Will deck 0 and use .039 GM firering gasket. Actually block is not honed yet but bored so piston fit snug without rings , very little piston rock if any. Chased all threaded holes and deburred block. Off to the shop to hone and final clean up. Thanks for getting back guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.