Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked under my 68 beater & noticed the subframe connector bolt near the driver firewall was loose - just dangling & the bushings have fell/rotted off. I tried wd40 several time & a ratchet with a pipe extension on it for leverage, but I could not loosen the bolt.
I even broke the ratchet! Do you guys think an impact wrench will get that sucker loose?
How about that part that the huge bolt screws INTO - is it reproduced today?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
those cage nuts can be tough. I recently replaced my subframe bushings with solid ones from Competition Engineering and had a little trouble getting them loose myself. I soaked them in penetrating oil repeatedly, and finally had to hit them with the impact gun. Did the job!

I don't know if the cage nuts are repro'd. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I had the same trouble with my nova when I put poly body mount bushings on it. I had one of the rear one's caged nut break loose...not fun. A 15 minute job turned into a 3 hour PITA. The ones on my nova by the firewall can be gotten to from the top side by removing the fender...maybe the camaro is that way too? I ended up replacing my bolt with a cad plated grade 8 bolt, nut, and lockwasher.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can access the cage bolt through the lower corners of the firewall. You will see a hole on each lower corner. I broke one of the bolts and had to remove the cage nut itself. I broke the old bolt with a breaker bar and a pipe. I also used an impact socket. I was pulling the frame so I had to get it out. After it finally broke, upon further inspection, it looked to be welded together (rusted), so all the WD40/Liquid Wrench in the world was not going to losen it. I just drilled and tapped the nut. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.