Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a '67 that I put a 350 in it, but I have yet to get it going. The alternator brackets have me stumped. I cannot use a low mount, due to the engine/subframe are too close for the Alt to sit. I don't have mounting holes in the heads, so I cannot get a top mounted one to work either. I hate the idea of ordering another alternator bracket that "supposed" to work, but doesn't. I would love to just go get a new set of heads, but I just had these rebuilt and hate to waste the $250 I put into them.

Anybody got a idiot proof way without spending tons of money to get this to work. (I was even looking at getting a '68 Impala for its good running 327)

Thanks for the help folks!!!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
way one (the cheap way) is the 1/4" steel brackets they sell for drivers side mounting (correct for your 67, assuming you still have a short water pump and original pulleys) the alternator off the front 2 header bolts.

I don't like these brackets, they wobble and they break, if you use it, buy 2.

If you want something better or you have a long water pump, you're gonna hafta cough up the dough for an aftermarket setup that mounts off the water pump. Check Allen Groves and March.

·
Super Moderator
32,768 Posts
The stock mounting for a 67 alt is on the driver side and the lower bracket bolts onto the #1 cylinder exhaust bolts. There is not enough room for a lower mount alt.

If you have headers, you can get the upper bracket and bolt it to the header bolts and transfer the F-bracket over to this same bracket and mount the alt in the same stock location.

See these parts from Summit Racing;
SUM-G4050 & SUM-G4051. Your OE 4051 should transfer over to G4050.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 67 with a small block and I have plenty of room "below". I made my own brackets but aftermarket ones are readily available. Mine is mounted on the left side off the 2 bolt holes in the block. I'll try and download a picture if you'd like to see how I mounted mine. I like it there cause it doesn't clutter the top of the engine and the belt is shorted so it won't fly off at higher rpms.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Keypilot, Um...no...Alan Groves brackets are not "same as yours".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny story.... Went to look at the brackets on the '68 Impala and wife liked the car so much that we left with it. She was nice enough to tell me that I could have the 327, but I had to build a 402 to replace it. I really did marry a good woman!!!

Thanks for the help!!!

George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts