Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steering wheel on my 67 camaro won't come off. I've put a homemade puller on it and it won't pop loose. How much pressure can I put on it, before it harms the threaded portion? If I pull the whole column, can I take the ragjoint fitting off the bottom and pull it out? Are replacement shafts available? It's a floor shift, non tilt column.
Thanks for any suggestions.
steve

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
autozone has the corrrect puller for like 15 bucks...thats the route i`d go...the rag joint attaches to a collapseable shaft, so you shouldnt have to pull the wheel to change it anyway...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The standard (non-adjustable) steering column has a permanently attached flange on the lower end of the column. It is a press fit and staked in place. With the hub and all of the retaining rings removed, the steering shaft will only come out the bottom of the column.

Make sure that your puller is set square on the steering shaft so that you are drawing the steering wheel/hub straight off. They sometimes take a lot of force, but they do come off.

JIML82

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
When I remove a steering wheel WITH A PULLER I put the nut back on a few threads to prevent the puller from sliding off the shaft and to hold the wheel when it POPS. Once you have tightened the puller to the point of concern, rap the head of the puller with a hammer to "shock" it. They can be very hard to remove and by the time you have enough force on the puller, they can fly right into your lap, or face, as noted above.

Good luck......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I purchased a steering wheel puller from Sears for $22 and I couldn't believe how easily it came off. I guess it was a case of just having the right tool for the job.
Thanks again,
steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts