Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am test mounting these on my heads, and they don't want to line up with the studs. I don't know if I set all of the valves, then tighten up the poly-locks, then pull these two halves apart and try to attach the other half? Or, try to slide the assembly over the studs (kinda trying that now and I can see that the girdle holes are not lining up with the studs. I'm starting to think Speedmaster is becoming the master of sub-standard product.
Brett....

·
3,467 Posts
What heads ? Most aftermarket heads require a specific stud girdle because the valves are not in the stock locations.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Just curious….how much are we talking out of line from the bore in the girdle? and what are those castings?
Mind you, I’m not an engine builder, but this wouldn’t be the first stack up of “ out of tolerance “ stuff I’ve seen.
You’d need to have access to a surface table, and perhaps a CMM, which would help sort anything “ off” in rapid fashion, but I know some places have protocols that prevent people from access to such things.
I’d be quicker to point at the studs than the girdle.
But I’m wrong about a lot of stuff….just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm starting to think Speedmaster is becoming the master of sub-standard product.
Speedmaster, formerly known as Procomp, is a well known brand in Australia for producing junk parts often using stolen designs made in China that are of such poor quality that it's now commonly known to basically anyone in the scene down here. A simple google search will show you hundreds of examples of quality issues. Yes, the price is attractive but the reality is very different - avoid at all costs.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as I suspected. Both the heads and the girdles are Procomp, or Speedmaster. :(
Brett...

·
15,433 Posts
I ran some Procomp heads on a 400 SBC a few years ago. The castings were good. The 411 at the time was who did the machine work. assembly and the parts used.

The heads purchased assembled by Procomp were cited by many as not so good.

Mine were done by a reputable head shop and performed very well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I looked at their products years ago, price was attractive but decided against it. You might want to look at some product reviews before you finalize the engine.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i been using pro comp heads since 2011with no issues, but there was massive work done to the blanks here in the usa

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have Pro Comp heads too. They did suck, especially the shop that assembled them! I currently have the same castings, but new PBM severe duty valves, All Straub Industries springs, locks, retainers, locators, and new valve seals. oh and new Roller Rocker arms. They pretty much ruined 3/4 of my Scorpion rockers. (SUCKED) broke at least 5 valve spring dampers. I know they aren't the best flowing heads, but they do the trick if you have good parts. My 496 runs good, but it also has a Straub Industries cam and a Fitech Meanstreet EFI. So basically what I have in these heads now, I could have bought a nice set of Edelbrocks or Brodix... DAMMIT!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I checked mine for fit with the valve train loose and then adjusted to see how much of difference I had. It was very slight, my process was to adjust to a zero lash. Installed the stud girdle loosely and then did my final lash of a half turn and lock down the valve adjustment and then tighten up the stud girdle to final torque.
Mine are procomp parts and heads are Brodix. My deflection was not much and like the the girdles keep everything lined up. I am running .036 quench on my heads and figured for the price of the part pro comp or not that it’s good part to have as keeping the valve train in alignment is a good thing.
E1D3B792-56F4-4024-8CBE-7108246677B4.jpeg
D81DEF7A-E4CA-45AC-8772-CACB043F6233.jpeg

·
Registered
394 Posts
Do you have a HUGE cam or very large amount of spring pressure that needs stud girdles? I have ran solid roller and have gotten away with it with 600 lb open springs. I have a hyd roller in my 496 and 400 lb open with no stud girdle. no issues from that anyway...

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LYK2ROC,
Yes, you are correct. I will not install Girdles. I am looking for between 500-700 HP, so I am sending the crappy Speedmaster Girdles back (or, I'm sending the unknown quality girdles that did not fit on the crappy Speedmaster heads back). It sure will be nice if we have a successful first launch. Then, in my retirement, I will be able to afford the quality parts I should have purchased in the first place, haha. 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀🚀

Joe, I am gonna guess that small block girdles install easier than big block girdles, or there is more possibility of error with different BBC heads having different stud angles, & positional error. A straight line of studs seems easier to match up.

Brett....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts