Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 327-i have had stumbling under load off and on for about 4 months now. ive changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, air cleaner, pvc valve, carb, plugs, plug wires, distributor, coil, exhaust gaskets, adjusted the timing and replaced the vacuum lines all to no avail. any other simply checks i can make as a relative novice before i break out the sledge hammer?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Josh, did the engine just get rebuilt or a new cam installed?? Maybe, maybe a cam out of time by a tooth, possibly a flat lobe or lifter out of adjustment.

Another friend just had a brand new engine that only had 7 cylinders, from the valve aadjustment man flubbing up. Adjusting the valves (hydraulic cam) cured that particular problem, lets work on yours now.

Could also be a vacuum leak, please post just which intake manifold and carb you are using. What engine size and other mods, please.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no recent rebuild or cam. its the original 327/210 that came with the camaro in 68. over the last 10 yrs ive put in a cam (with the 327/350 hp specs), world sportsman heads, eb performer intake, universal 600 holley (changed to the original QJET and had the same problem.) the only thing new that was put on 2 months before the problem was
a TCI 2400 stall speed converter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Josh, before you break out the sledge hammer...

Pull the plugs. Check color. Run compression test. View results to eliminate engine malady rings/valves. While plugs are out, reset all valves.

Possible that cam lobe is fried, but will defer to I-man on diagnostics there. Thinking you will find one cyl different than all the rest. Either in compression or plug color.

[This message has been edited by 427TRI (edited 09-18-2000).]

·
19,801 Posts
do you have points (out of adjustment)or hei (bad cap or rotor)? is it timed right ? just a suggestion.

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i thought that it could be the distributor to so i replaced the stock 68 distributor with a mallory unilite and still have the same problem. timing has been checked and is fine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check the suction screen in the fuel tank (on the suction line).

200th post!

------------------
68SS ZZ4, 4sp T-10, 12 bolt, getting painted

78Z28, 330hp vortec, TH350, 10 bolt (just finished)

·
Registered
45 Posts
What kind of carb are you using? Have you checked to see if you power piston is free to move or sticks down? Sometimes a misinstalled air horn gasket can squash it down too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts