Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 69 camaro 327 sbc roller cam 226/234 duration 112 lobe separation 547 lift I have 650 cfm edelbrock with edelbrock esp intake I have 308 stock gear stock converter. I have only 400 rpm at idle in gear 950 rpm in park. I am researching possibility putting higher stall converter. I want opinions if my stumble at throttle and low rpm in gear would be solved with higher stall converter

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
given that cam...and stock TC...a loser converter will certainly help. 2000-2200

I assume your timing, VA are set/working correctly

FWIW I have a 220/224 112 LSA cam and I have a 2k stall (Hughes) with a TH350 & 3:08 and it idles fine. 850 rpm idle in neutral;/Park. 700-750 in gear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
given that cam...and stock TC...a loser converter will certainly help. 2000-2200

I assume your timing, VA are set/working correctly

FWIW I have a 220/224 112 LSA cam and I have a 2k stall (Hughes) with a TH350 & 3:08 and it idles fine. 850 rpm idle in neutral;/Park. 700-750 in gear
Yes I have initial timing at 8degrees seems to like that best. I also have a stock 350 turbo tranny. I am looking at a 2400 stall B&M converter. I hope that would take care of idle problem in gear.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
8 deg initial timing sounds low to me. Are you running a vac advance off full manifold vacuum? (I'm not familiar with your carb) I'd think initial + vac advance at idle should be more like 20-22 deg and that would help a lot getting off the line. You could try bumping up the initial to 10 deg or so and stop the vac advance at another 10 - 12 deg and see how it runs.

Reactions: SoCal805

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Yes I have initial timing at 8degrees seems to like that best. I also have a stock 350 turbo tranny. I am looking at a 2400 stall B&M converter. I hope that would take care of idle problem in gear.
are you running Vacuum Advance? (You should on a street car)

B&M???, they are generally regarded as a "budget" brand. At the very least get one with braised fins. Hughes would be my pick vs B&M.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Don’t forget to add a tranny cooler with the converter. With 308 gears it will slip a lot on takeoff and that creates heat fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don’t forget to add a tranny cooler with the converter. With 308 gears it will slip a lot on takeoff and that creates heat fast.
Thanks I was planning on adding external cooler tranny lines to stock radiator now
8 deg initial timing sounds low to me. Are you running a vac advance off full manifold vacuum? (I'm not familiar with your carb) I'd think initial + vac advance at idle should be more like 20-22 deg and that would help a lot getting off the line. You could try bumping up the initial to 10 deg or so and stop the vac advance at another 10 - 12 deg and see how it runs.
yes I am running v/a off full manifold vacuum have 650 cfm edelbrock carb. I agree 8 deg. Sounds a little low I have played with timing and it ran better at 8. I think the converter will need to come first get more rpm and more vacuum also when in gear then I can tweak timing and mixture screws

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
are you running Vacuum Advance? (You should on a street car)

Do you know if the TC you have for the TH350 now is stock, what year?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have 69 camaro 327 sbc roller cam 226/234 duration 112 lobe separation 547 lift I have 650 cfm edelbrock with edelbrock esp intake I have 308 stock gear stock converter. I have only 400 rpm at idle in gear 950 rpm in park. I am researching possibility putting higher stall converter. I want opinions if my stumble at throttle and low rpm in gear would be solved with higher stall converter
I am running vacuum advance HEI distributor
I assume your 8 degrees of timing is "base"....with vacuum advance plugged?

what is timing at idle with VA plugged in?

and total timing at 3k rpm?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
if your timing with VA connected is 8 degrees....that can be your tip in, off the line, stumble issue

Granted a cam like yours will work better with a higher than stock stall especially in the area where you are at a stop and your idle in gear wants to be about 700ish rpm and the stock converter is fighting that. 2000-2400 rpm stall would be good

...but timing can also cause a stumble on tip in

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if your timing with VA connected is 8 degrees....that can be your tip in, off the line, stumble issue

Granted a cam like yours will work better with a higher than stock stall especially in the area where you are at a stop and your idle in gear wants to be about 700ish rpm and the stock converter is fighting that. 2000-2400 rpm stall would be good

...but timing can also cause a stumble on tip in

No , timing with VA plugged is the 8 degrees with VA working timing is off my guage don’t know the total timing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts