Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably an easy fix with the choke but I'm not getting it right. Car is a 67 with a 327 and rochester quad carb. If I give it a lot of gas within the first 5 minutes of starting the car it stumbles and sometimes dies. The easy fix would be to wait until it is warmed up but sometimes I need to merge into traffic and can't wait. Any adjustments to try? Runs fine for hours after it is at operating temps.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
I would suggest providing more information for the experts here (not me-I know enough to be dangerous) to help out. What type of choke, how is the carb set up and adjusted, engine timing specs, vacuum advance, what carb and is it new or old, rebuilt, more details on your typical starting routine?

The choke should activate with a single pump of the accelerator and then slowly open as the car warms up. Find out if that's happening first. The fast idle and choke need to work together for best cold starts and warmups and the idle and mixture screws need to be set correctly too.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yes sounds like the chock is not adjusted properly and or the cold idle cam screw needs adjusting. (Its located on the left side by the choke.)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It could also be the accelerator pump is worn. Sometimes after a few years, especially if the car gets stored for months, the pumps will go bad as the rubber cups shrink or get hard. Then as it warms up it gets more pliable and starts working as correct. This happens even more these days with the ethanol in the gas. Ive had this happen to me with a rochester carb too.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
It could also be the accelerator pump is worn. Sometimes after a few years, especially if the car gets stored for months, the pumps will go bad as the rubber cups shrink or get hard. Then as it warms up it gets more pliable and starts working as correct. This happens even more these days with the ethanol in the gas. Ive had this happen to me with a rochester carb too.
Very true.

·
14,097 Posts
I would just let it warm up 1st

1 - 8 of 8 Posts