Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I messed up!

I swaped out my old distributor for a new HEI and connected the power wire up to the fusebox instrument light hookup. Which of course could not deliver the kind of power the HEI needed. That has now been corrected, but not without some damage.

I have no dash lights now. The instrument lights fuse is good, but has no voltage. I then attempted to correct the problem by jumpering in, at the fusebox instrument light hookup a hot wire. Which, of course, gave me back my dash lights, but they are on all the time.

I checked the green wire going from the fuse box to the headlight switch, and it is good, no damage.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
One thing about 38 year old wiring is that bad connections develop due to corrosion. Chances are, when you pulled a load high enough to blow the fuse, you also caused another bad connection somewhere in the electrical system to heat up. Now that the fuse is replaced, the other bad connection is still there - and worse than before. So I wouldn't worry that you messed something up. It's probably another gremlin somewhere that you would have found eventually anyway. Get a schematic for the car and a volt meter. Find out where you're losing voltage and trace the circuit from the load back to the battery. I'd especially focus on the light switch or ignition switch circuits.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would start at the headlight switch. The rheostat (dimmer) for the dash lights can't handle a big load and since the terminal on the fuseblock gets its power from here my guess is you arced the windings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bingo, the problem was with the headlight switch. I ordered and replace the old one with a new unit and everything went back to the way it should!

Thanks for the assistance!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Be prepared for something else to go wrong. I don't say that to be mean, but rather to prepare you. Fixing one weak link in the chain often reveals new ones. If that happens, I don't want you to think you messed something up. It's just part of the game.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts