Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all

I'm just asking a question for an opinion from all you 1st gen Camaro builders

I recently posted a question about my 67 leaning about 1/2 down on the passenger side.

I just replaced all of the bushing (poly) and installed a Hotchkis TVS. The front of the vehicle did not even have a sway bar.

My car still leans and I believe that the sub frame may be bent.

When I went to replace the bushing I noticed that on the drivers side I needed to jack the body away from the frame to install all of the bushing, but when I went to replace the passenger side (after the bolts were removed) the rear bushing location was about 3-4 inches away from the body without me jacking the passenger side up. I still needed to lift the body to replace the front bushing. After putting in the new bushing I needed to jack up the rear location so I could put the new bolt in.

I have not measured frame the ground to the frame yet.

I was just wondering if it seems that the cause of my lean is a bent subframe?

Who knows what my Camaro had been through in the prior 37 year, but I believe that the front passenger tire has flown off at one time since there is damage to the front passenger fender, and the dust shield is ground down like its been traveling on the road. Also this damage has not been fixed yet and the front end is a little out of whack.

I can probably live with the lean, since when I sit in the vehicle it most likely levels out. It will never be a show car just a weekend driver, and it seems to drive straight.

In a few years I plan on tearing it all down and fixing everything so I’m sure if it’s a bent sub frame it can wait until then.

If it is a bent sub frame is there a way to correct it by bending it back or is it better to replace the whole sub frame.

Thanks all, heres a pic of the damage

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/434488dez23f1b70a/d600/__sr_/e380scd.jpg?phwiB5DB5A5pyIQq

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/434488dez23f1b70a/d600/__sr_/52bascd.jpg?phwiB5DBiLPBrAMc

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
pic links don't work.

What you descibed on the bushings sounds pretty normal. There's just nuttin connected to it on the pass side, so it drops when you loosen the bolts. On the drivers side, the steering column and brake lines will hold it up.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
When you jacked up your car, were you on level ground? Even a slight slope of the ground might make the sub frame seem uneven. After replacing all the bushings and if the car still leans, it might be possible you have a bent wheel spindle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts