Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to replace the original subframe bushings in my 69 coupe with a prothane bushing kit and ran into a problem. The instructions show reusing the factory sleeve between the inside of the bushing and the bolt. Mine are so bad that I can't make out any sleeve and I even had to fab a new hole for the left front mount. I checked the old bushings and bolts and they have alot of slop between the inside of the bushing and the bolt. I looked in Rick's and Paddocks catalogs and found no sleeve kit. I thought that the bolt would fit snug inside the bushing, hence the need for a sleeve. Does anyone know where I can get a sleeve kit or should I fab some out of possibly brass or is this right? Thanks in advance for your help.

------------------
69 Camaro currently under "restification"

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I replaced my originals with polys, and the sleeves were actually built into the bushings. I was confused also, because I wasn't sure whether I needed to get new sleeves or not. Maybe this is the case with yours? I didn't have directions however, since I bought them from a fellow member who had pitched them. If your directions say you need sleeves, they are available aftermarket. I got the hardware kit from www.firewheelclassics.com KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, I went to their site and found a kit that has the sleeves. I really appreciate the help.

Mike

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I removed my original Chevrolet body bushings this weekend and there was no sleeve. Only a bolt, a big washer, and the 2 piece rubber bushing. My car is a Texas car so I know the sleeve didn't rust away.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 11/29/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gheatly:
I removed my original Chevrolet body bushings this weekend and there was no sleeve. Only a bolt, a big washer, and the 2 piece rubber bushing. My car is a Texas car so I know the sleeve didn't rust away.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reviving an old thread here. I have the same issue. I can't rule out the fact that the previous owner discarded the sleeves, but they're definately gone on my 68. I've got Energy Suspension bushings ready to install but I'm going to have to replace the hardware. I've been trying to get the big washers here locally and I'm being told by the fastner companies that I'll have to make my own.

I'd like to make my own sleeves, but I have no idea what they look like. Does anyone have pictures and or measurements? I'm envisioning turning out some stepped metal disks with a sleeve in between. I'm just not sure how long the sleve should be or the diameter.

-dnult

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I've got a set of "replacement" body bushings that were used for a few years. I'm now replacing them with solid bushings. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig around the garage to see if they are all still there-you could canabalize them for the hardware you need.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice Wagon
'99 Venture Van
my 68 camaro

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.