Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got some Competition Engineering subframe connectors and was wondering what is required to install them. I will be bolting them in. I was reading some prior posts and read that many people squared their frames. What is involved in squaring a frame? Is squaring the rame required for a bolt in installation? Also I noticed a concern with bolt hole elongation. Is it a common problem and can it be avoided without welding in the connectors? Thanks.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I just bolted in same ones in my 68 if you have no frame or alignment problems just support frame and drill holes and bolt in.

·
15,370 Posts
I'm almost ready to install the same set.... bolt-ons.

Squaring the frame to me is making sure it meets the factory dimensions. Next would be squaring it to the leafsprings front mounts.

I'm not too keen on just leaving them bolted but I don't want to weld them either, in case some frame and\or body adjustment is needed later on.

I was thinking about reinforcing the holes that get drilled in the subframe with large, flat washers welded over the holes from INSIDE the frame rail. As large a washer as possible. That way if something needs to move later, the same hole(s) can be enlarged and still have that little extra strength built into them.

Has anyone with connectors experienced a problem where the holes in either the frame or the connectors themselves have been stretched?
I'm sure, unless you're really a 'lead-foot' like me or race, it's not a problem especially with solid or poly body mounts. I'm just thinking of a worst-case scenerio where there would be a need to remove them and having them welded. Wouldn't that be a serious PINA?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm very interested in these connectors and have been considering installing some for a while now. Does anyone have a picture of these bolt-ons installed on their car? Welding on the connectors concerns me a little in case the subframe ever has to be removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts