Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Can anyone help me with the dimensions of the subframe to body mounting holes. The middle ones were pretty poor and I want to weld in new steel pieces and use a hole saw to cut them to the right diameter. Also any recommendations where I can find a list of correct finishes of components as I put the car back together. So far I got Eastwoods Chassis black and underhood black. Thanks.

·
Registered
999 Posts
well i can't help you with the dimensions, but your on the right track with using eastwood products. they have all types of paint to use from the correct color of the altenator, to the correct black for power steering pumps and brackets. if you haven't already, just get one of there books and that will help you out with what you need. i don't live to far from them and one of these days i'm going to take a road trip down to see there place, and probably take my credit card too. they have a lot of nice stuff.
later,
bruce

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The Eastwood chassis black and underhood black are WAY TOO GLOSSY. They are not even close to the semi-flat used by the factory. If you are going for originality, don't use this stuff.

A friend of mine bought the Eastwood underhood kit a couple of weeks ago. We painted a bunch of parts and figured it would turn dull when it dried. It never did. He wound up spending a couple of hours sanding off the gloss so he could repaint the stuff with Krylon semi-flat black.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that's very disappointing. You would think that they did the research. Do you have the part number for the Krylon semi flat that is close? I also bought their Corroless for sealing the subrame, better than Por 15?, any opinions?

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I repaired my subframe mount holes. The rearmost two on both sides were shot. Initially I ordered the repair kit but when they arrived, I sent them back and made my own from 1/4" steel plate for about $3 from a local scrap place. The repair kit was 3/16" thick. ANyway, the holes were 1 1/2" which I cut with a hole saw. The solid mounts I put in were a little smaller, maybe 1/16. I am guessing the stock rubber mounts swell when torqued down and fully fill the holes. Since I torqued to 100 ft-lb ( per Global West ) they aren't going to shift anyway. Lastly, the middle bolts both broke. They had become solid with the caged nuts so I had to rip out the cages and go with nuts and washers. Not too bad.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have to agree with gheatly on the Eastwood chassis paint. I used their chassis black in the aerosol cans and found the paint a little too glossy. I called up their tech dept and asked about the gloss problem. Their tech guy said that that paint gets glossier when you apply more than 2 coats. Well, if you use an spray can, you have to take more than a couple of shots at it. My suggestion would be to try shooting with a gun and get more even coverage and less coats.

------------------
Jeff Bradway - my resto page: http://67camaro.virtualave.net

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Krylon semi-flat paint you need is #9203, in spray cans. It is almost an exact factory semi-flat black color match. I used this on the firewall, fender wells, subframe, top of dash, etc. Turned out real good.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Jackson are you still looking for the dimensions? I have a 1969 chassis sevice manual with all the subframe dimensions in it.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23

1 - 9 of 9 Posts