Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing my stock sub frame bushings with Global West aluminum bushings. I was able to replace the back bushings. The middle sub frame bolt is where I my problem is.

The sub frame nut is spinning freely when I use my impact gun on the bolt. How can I get a hold of the nut without having to remove my inner fender?

The problem is on the drivers side where I have no room to get to the nut but I can see it spinning in it's cage/cover when I use the impact gun.

·
Super Moderator
32,473 Posts
ViseGrips from the top.

Might unbolt the fenderwell and pull it down alittle to give room.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
304 Posts
if you can get a acr welding rod to it you might be able to tack it !

just a thought

------------------
camaro's for ever!!! :D
67 327 11:1 4spd.
70 454 400thm 10 posi
my camaros

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You might be able to get a pry bar in there and put some force against the nut so the bolt can be backed out.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I had to cut the bolt head off, pry the cage up/off with a prybar and remove the pieces. Then I used conventional grade 8 bolt/nut/washers.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RickD, Did you have the front sheet metal off when you removed the cage and cut the bolt?

I can see the nut spin and really do not want to remove the inner fender well. You all have given me some good ideas. I think I can fit my welder down to the nut. I will try tack welding the nut down before I remove the fender.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I did have the driver side inner/outer fender off.

If you tack the nut, be aware that it may be frozen onto the bolt from age/water and snap off when the try to remove it. Hopefully not. My rear bolts came out fine, the middle ones both broke. The cage is fairly easy to pry up if you can get in there with a small pry bar.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was able to drive a screwdriver between the cage and nut and it held it. Don't forget the rust cutter.

------------------
1969 Camaro 350 & 1969 Impala SS 427/ 4-speed (restored)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts