Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Camaro I am restoring the front end. My situation is this: My Body mounts are in bad shape on the subframe. Along with some other bad spots that has seen better days. I have a 72 Nova that I am parting out and the subframe has some light surface rust, but very beefy throughout. The only difference to the naked eye seems to be some mounting holes for brake lines/fuel lines, and the lower Control arm bumper stop is in front instead of the rear on the frame. Are they the same otherwise? I hate to put a lot of time and work into the Nova frame if it is not going to work, but it sure appears as though it will! Anyone who has traveled this road, I appreciate your comments!!

thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jeff,
I've always heard the same thing as Rick was saying, that they are the same. I've got a 69 Nova and a 68 Camaro, and the subframes look identical to me too. I know that Subframe connectors are the same for both cars. If I were you I would take some careful measurements just so you're sure.
Got any interior parts for sale off that Nova? Mines hashed!
Pete

·
Registered
106 Posts
i,ve done some work on a friend of mine,s 69 and it has a nova subframe,and it worked ok.seems like the motor frame mounts are different but do work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Camaros and Novas supposedly share subframes up to '74, like everyone's saying. Maybe the control arm bumpers are in different locations because the first gen Camaro is rear steer, and the Nova is front steer.

------------------
Matt
http://camarotech1.com
Camaro Tech 1st Generation

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a very late 69 Camaro, built first week of Nov 69, and it came from the factory with a 70 Nova subframe (70 Nova's were being built in Sept 69). The 70 Camaro used a different subframe entirely. You should be OK. The difference in frame mounts might be if it came originally with a 307 or a 350. Even though the motors are the same size, it seems the factory used heavy and light duty engine mounts requiring different frame mounts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It will work, my 67 has a 72 Nova sub frame installed about 12 years ago. still hanging. Galen

------------------
S/B Chevy Lover
67 Camaro street car
10:50's @ 128 on motor w/383 cid
79 Z28 w/383 9.1:1 3.73:1 Restoring stock apearance
13:40's @ 101 stock exh.& intake& Qjet
smog legal
Camaro Lover

1 - 8 of 8 Posts