Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm sorry to start a new thread on this topic, but I have a specific question that I would like some advise on. I was installing new subframe bushings on my 68 firebird and i noticed the holes in the subframe are rusted to the point that the bushings barely hold in the frame (but the surrounding area seems very solid). I ordered the subframe body mount repair plates that weld in place, but I'm not quite confident enough in my metal working skills to cut out and butt weld in the new patch pieces, and honestly it's not in the budget to have it done for me. my question is, would it be completely inappropriate to set the plates on top of the subframe and simply weld them on top of the frame rails? my thought is that the ride height would be 1/8" (if they're even that thick) higher, but I can't think of any reason not to as long as i put all 6 plates on the proper locations. The radiator core support mounting holes are in good shape, but I'd still add the plates to keep it level.

PS i hope I'm not shunned since i have a Firebird. I figured since Camaro's are more popular I may have better luck within this community. also, the firebird guys don't like me since i have a 69 Camaro drive train ready to put in the car.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I've learned many years ago to do things once and do them right. If it's not in the budget to have someone weld it up for you, wait until it is. I can't imagine it taking someone who welds more than 30-45 mins to do this. Don't have any friends with a welder? There may even be someone on this site that lives near you that would do you a favor. On any local FB groups? I think you'd be surprised how many people have a welder in their garage.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Agreed wait till it can be done right for safety's sake. We just did it in my car. Pretty scary to think I was driving all these years with some of body mount bushings pretty much gone and holes in my frame Just make sure you use a pin to align the subframe correctly. Mine were also shot and causing my tires to rub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
One of the great things about this forum is the comraderie and support from others. Maybe start a post titled "minor welding help needed in Topeka". Work out a trade of some sort, make a new friend.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
I agree that it's not the right way to do it, it might not be the prettiest solution, but I'd like to hear people's reasoning for why it would be unsafe.

I'd think that if you cut out the existing rust so it doesn't spread, welding the repair patches on top of all six mounting points would simply raise the car by the thickness of the repair plates (1/8" or 3/16"). If the welds are good, and the patches are put in the right place where's the risk?

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
I agree that it's not the right way to do it, it might not be the prettiest solution, but I'd like to hear people's reasoning for why it would be unsafe.

I'd think that if you cut out the existing rust so it doesn't spread, welding the repair patches on top of all six mounting points would simply raise the car by the thickness of the repair plates (1/8" or 3/16"). If the welds are good, and the patches are put in the right place where's the risk?
I agree, not show quality but perfectly functional. I think that is how we did mine 23 years ago.:)

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Just spoke to my buddy who did the work he welded it on the bottom of the frame to not effect ride height. Hope this is a help

Yes, that's how mine was done as well.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help, everybody. I'm not sure I understand how safety would be a concern, or how it would be considered "wrong". Could somebody expand on that? it seems like a few people have done it without issue.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Thanks for the help, everybody. I'm not sure I understand how safety would be a concern, or how it would be considered "wrong". Could somebody expand on that? it seems like a few people have done it without issue.

When I first read your post I took it as you aren't an experienced welder looks like I misunderstood. I was referring to getting welding right but you said nothing about welding just your metal working skills my bad.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My question on the safety aspect is, are you confident enough in your welding skills? It would seem to me that the fitting is the easy part and the welding is the important part and I think the welding is no more difficult either way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't welded since high school, in 2006. I was pretty good with a stick welder, however I'll be using a mig welder on this project. I'll practice on scrap metal before hand, and if it looks like I can't get the hang of it I'll find somebody that can come help me. My main concern is getting the holes in the exact location, which looks like it should be simple if I weld the patch over the top of the frame rail. I'm afraid if I cut a hole out of the frame, that I'll never get the alignment of the holes in the correct location. Thanks for the speedy replys

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't think the issue is cutting out the hole and welding in a new insert. The issue is insuring a good quality weld. Put the repair plate on the bottom of the stock mount not on top as pictured above. To do the job right the rust needs to be completely cleaned off before welding. Whoever does the welding needs to be comfortable welding overhead or remove the subframe and invert it to weld.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I don't think the issue is cutting out the hole and welding in a new insert. The issue is insuring a good quality weld. Put the repair plate on the bottom of the stock mount not on top as pictured above. To do the job right the rust needs to be completely cleaned off before welding. Whoever does the welding needs to be comfortable welding overhead or remove the subframe and invert it to weld.

That's the frame on top. The plate was welded underneath on my car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts