Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used the 2 1/2 with a mild 454, fit was OK. The sound is really mellow though. I just got done with another one but on a 71 firebird but I went with the universal crossover and dynomax ultraflo's and it sounds much better...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMHO, I tend to disagree........ I have heard the same mufflers, Flowmaster 40 series, on 2.5" and on 3". The 3" was definitely louder and had a deeper sound.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I have those Summit 3" turbo mufflers on my 70 SS396 and I think they sound great. Nice rumble at idle, sound very aggressive under throttle, but not annoyingly loud while cruising on the highway. They aren't the loudest muffler but 3" dual exhaust is not going to be quiet no matter what you use. I tried the V-Force chambered mufflers and they were waaaayyyyyy too loud. There's no way you could talk to someone in the car or even hear the radio and I would never survive a 45 minute highway cruise with them. Oh, and it felt like my car picked up at least 20-30 hp going from the 2-1/4" dual exhaust to the 3" dual.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Can I please get comments or suggestions as to which/what/whose system to use on my low/mild horsepower 69 Camaro big block. Cosmetically I like the look of the original style single transverse muffler.
FYI, Car has Hooker basic COMP headers (NOT Super Comp) and cuurently has a reproduction (?????) chambered system

Thanks so much,

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,548 Posts
Can I please get comments or suggestions as to which/what/whose system to use on my low/mild horsepower 69 Camaro big block. Cosmetically I like the look of the original style single transverse muffler.
FYI, Car has Hooker basic COMP headers (NOT Super Comp) and cuurently has a reproduction (?????) chambered system

Thanks so much,
Chuck,

The ideal thing would be to start your own thread. Your request will get lost in the middle of this thread.

Jody

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Jody, Thanks....it was/is not my intent to iritate or infringe upon anothers thread................
..............but I have asked about "my situation" within misc other exhaust threads and have not yet gotten any concrete suggestions.........but as my problem is MY problem and kinda obscure w/o pics.....people are not motivated to respond........
Somehow I will resolve this..........or NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,548 Posts
Jody, Thanks....it was/is not my intent to iritate or infringe upon anothers thread................
..............but I have asked about "my situation" within misc other exhaust threads and have not yet gotten any concrete suggestions.........but as my problem is MY problem and kinda obscure w/o pics.....people are not motivated to respond........
Somehow I will resolve this..........or NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Chuck,

I think the mistake is that you're asking in other peoples threads, so they're geared to answering the thread starters questions. Please put your request in your own thread, and see if the guys don't have some thoughts.

I'd run a 2.5" mandrel bent system with a transverse muffler if that's your choice. I know Flowmaster makes one, and I'm sure there are others. 2.5" has a good tone but not loud (if you don't go with a real loud muffler) and will support a fair amount of power. I like the Dynomax under car mufflers (turbos) as they have a nice tone but are quiet also. I do not know if they make a transverse style though, I've always had the more common under car mount.

Jody

·
Registered
601 Posts
i bought the same system from jeggs. got hooker headers also. it wasnt to bad of an install but got to cut mid pipes down to where you want mufflers to go. it sounds great in a building it rocks a 30 by 40 building lol. sounds like you got 1000 hp under hood. but for as going down road i dont know cause car is in body shop maybe in another month or so ill maybe be able drive on road. if you got a daily driver i wouldnt go to 3 inch tho. 2 1/2 is fine

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i bought the same system from jeggs. got hooker headers also. it wasnt to bad of an install but got to cut mid pipes down to where you want mufflers to go. it sounds great in a building it rocks a 30 by 40 building lol. sounds like you got 1000 hp under hood. but for as going down road i dont know cause car is in body shop maybe in another month or so ill maybe be able drive on road. if you got a daily driver i wouldnt go to 3 inch tho. 2 1/2 is fine
How did the pipes fit out the back do they hit the leaf springs? How far out the back do they stick out? Sorry for so many questions but just trying to make an informed decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts