Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

When I was last in the US I was getting a set of Koni's for my 68 Firebird. I also seen a set of the Summit front drag shocks so thought I would get a set of them thrown in as well.
I have been having a play with the adjustment on them which is supposed to vary from Regular-Firm-Extra firm but wherever they are adjusted to it does not seem to feel any different & it is very hard to actually know what setting you are on. There is three triangles stamped into the body of the shock but none of the places where the adjustment clicks into position do the stamps line up. I would have thought that they would pull out real easy but be really stiff to push back in but all positions seem to feel reasonably easy to push in & pull out. Does anybody have any experience with these shocks & do they seem to work okay ? I have not fitted them yet but they are going into a mid 11 second SBC car.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G7600/?image=large

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spoke to Summit sales, Summit customer service & Summit tech department & none of them had any idea. Will just try them & see how they go.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Those look exactly like the 3 way adjustable shocks from Comp Engineering that I have on my car. Keep trying to adjust them with the shock fully compressed. After each adjustment cycle the shock by hand until you get the setting you want. :beers:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Just be aware that 90/10s are a Band Aid for a the wrong spring rates.

A shock with 10% dampening can in no way control your springs which is what they are there to do.

I would fit the right shocks for the springs you have, or, fit the right springs, then fit the right shocks.

That's my 5 cents. (inflation:p)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My springs have been re-set & I run Koni adjustables all round for street use & I have the car riding really firm. I bought the Summit shocks because they were cheap & just to allow the front to lift a bit easier than the Koni's. But as the saying goes you get what you pay for. Have messed around with them for a bit & found what feels like the softest position so will give them a try at that. Pretty much only want to run the car a couple of times a year at the Nostalgia's & maybe a street meet or two so am not really keen on changing anything else to make the car better for racing but suck on the street.
Thanks for the reply though
Scott

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I had the Comp Engineering 90/10s. They helped my stock springs, but then when I put in tall-soft springs to preload for better weight transfer, they were far too light and regular 50/50 shocks went back in..:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts