Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Here are the facts: I have a 1969 Camaro. The seller had a fuel cell in the trunk & had it vented. He was making the car into a drag car. I'm slowly turning it back to a street car. There was only one fuel line to & from the carb. I had the fuel cell taken out. There is now a gas tank w/ a sump on the bottom of the tank. The car also has an electric fuel pump next to the tank. There is what is either an AN-10 or AN-12 line going from the sump to the pump. Then another braided line from the tank to the carb where it splits into 2 lines since it's a Holley 750 double pumper. I have a fuel pressure regualtor mounted on the passenger fender well.

More facts: The person who welded the sump must have thought it would be a drag car. He welded a small vent tube at the top right corner of the tank. This vent if you were standing at the back bumper would be facing the back seat. I had to hand knead some JB Weld & some Permatex to seal the vent tube since I was getting leaks around turns. I bought a new sending unit with one line which was a 3/8" line. I took the car out Sunday and I had to have it towed back to my house. Somehow the screw that holds the ground wire for the fuel pump on the toggle switch must have worked it's way loose. Luckily the flat bed tow truck happened to drive by 20 minutes after my car died otherwise I could have been stuck there for a few hours.

The leak: When the tow truck driver put it on the flatbed I saw a large puddle of gas. I thought it was coming out of the unused line from the sending unit. I was right. Well even after the car was pushed in my garage the fuel kept oozing out the unsused line like the float was at the top level. It was all over the catch trays and leaked onto the garage floor. I figured since I don't wan't any more fuel leaks I would seal this up with Permatex hand knead fuel tank sealer which is like JB Weld. So I did. The last thing I want is more fuel leaks in my garage or on the street when I corner hard.

Finally the questions: 1) Should I have sealed these up with JB Weld or Permatex hand knead material since I don't plan on cutting, tubbing or caging the car like the seller planned on doing.? I don't want fuel leaks in my garage or on the street. 2) I rinsed as much as the bottom of the tank off & the garage floor off as I could. Yet the garage stinks worse than a fuel tanker at a gas station. Why does the garage still stink so bad? 3) When starting the car after it sits for a week even with a new carb on it I see vapor coming out of the primary secondary area which some refer to the choke area. Does this thing need a vent line?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Feel free to respond!!

Thanks!!

Greg

·
Super Moderator
33,287 Posts
The smell of fuel in the garage is because the vapor is absorbed into the pores of the materials in the garage, the wood, the plasterboard, the stagnant air inside the cabinets, etc.

A few sunny days with the garage door(s) open and a fan or two circulating the air will help. Baking soda boxes all over will help, remember the same trick for your frig to remove smells.

The vent tube should be vented outside of the trunk and if fuel is coming out of the sending unit spare nipple, could be the ambient temp of the tank/fuel is high enough to expand and out it comes. Block off the unused ports, venting to the outside of trunk floor should help some. Also, an open vent tube helps. It may be welded shut at time of manufacture.

The vapor from the air horn could be the fuel evaporating from the heat buildup after shutdown. Maybe a plastic/phenolic spacer between the carb & manifold would block off the heat.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Everett,

Thanks for the response. Your posts are always welcomed. The prior owner had the fuel cell vented through the trunk floor. When I took this out I had that hole patched along with the hole he cut in the trunk floor to mount the fuel cell. Right now it has a stock gas tank with a Competition Engineering sump at the bottom, along with an electric fuel pump.

My old 1969 had a 327 which was taken out in favor of the 396. I don't ever recall that car stinking up the garage to high heaven.

Last week Monday Night (03/12) I rinsed off as much fuel from the bottom of the tank, & garage floor as I could with a garden hose. When I reconnect the ground wire for the fuel pump I'll run it through a car wash & rinse off some more. I just wish this thing would quit stinkin' up the place now that I sealed up the small vent tube the guy welded on the upper right corner of the tank. I also sealed up the unused 3/8" fuel line coming off the sending unit. The wife is not happy this car is stinkin' up the garage. Especially when friends & family have told her my old 1969 did not stink with either engine. But then again, that car had the OE tank & factory lines.

·
Super Moderator
33,287 Posts
You're welcome. You may need a new gas cap if you have the OE tank. Cap vent may be stuck open.

New tank with sump shows no signs of leaking?
All connections in fuel line show no leaks?
Big blocks do generate more heat than SBC, fuel could be evaporating from carb?

Maybe clean all residual fuel trails with Greased Lightening and rinse. All the residual fuel having leaked will still "outgas" until gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts