Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Sun 1120 old school unit and haven't a clue where to start. No books at all. Can anyone help locate any info on this thing? I'm not having any luck looking on the net.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello. I wanted to revisit this post since it's been a while.

I can get pics of what I bought. I have been playing around with it and everything seems to work on it. I'm not too sure about calibration/calibrating it. If someone could help me out I would appreciate it. I really don't think I have the only one in the world, somebody must have one somewhere with books, maybe, I'm hoping?

If anybody can post pics let me know I will e-mail one to you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I dont know that unit but I bet they are all alike. If your talking about the co/hc adjustments and its analog gages. After the systems been on for 1/2 hour You just use a very small screw driver in the front of the gage and adjust to zero then stick it in the tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everette#2390...

Hi. I was wondering if you located anyone that could help me with this Sun machine I have? Need books if anyone has anything on this piece. Parts? If I'm not mistaken doesn't Snap-On own SUN Corp.?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
I have a couple looking. Eventually, Snap-On did buy out Sun Electric.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent some to Everette#2390. I don't have the attachment feature here on T.C.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
LOL!
Everette. Post the picture. I know you know how. The only reason i want the picture is because I have an old Sun Manual somewhere. It is from the 70s.. If it looks anything like mine, I will track down the manual. If nothing close, I won't waste my time.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like we are finally moving forward on this.

Thanks for posting the pic for me.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
You're not gonna make one of us 'old-guys' feel even older by making us admit we know how to run one of those still - are you :eek:

They are really fairly easy to hook-up and us.
There should be @5~7 (could be a few more depending on options they ordered) wire leads coming off the boom - big 'bent-stick- thingy' hanging off the side - that are wired onto various components of the engine depending on the type of data you need and tests you're running.
There should be, at least,;
1.) High tension adapter for the #1 spark plug lead
2.) coil pick-up for dwell/timing to the coil lead
3.) voltage reference lead to the + side of the bat. or to the alt. output lug
4.) a vacuum line to hook into the manifold vacuum source
5.) a timing light
the above are the normal and necessary connection to do most 'tune-ups'
there may also be;
6.) a pile-resistor, to check starter draw and alternator/generator output
7.) a secondary vacuum line to connect to the ported side of carb to check advance signal or to allow advancing of the distributor for tests.
8.) several other component leads depending on options the unit has.

It looks like the unit also has several of the optional component test stations on it (down on the right side) these are used to test coils and other components off the car.

I won't promise I'd still have manuals for one - but I might ...
I donated a load to the old-car-manual project awhile back, but I don't remember those being with them.
I will dig through some old boxes out in the shop and see what I can find - this is goona take time, be patient ;)

Hope this helps some;
an old guy ... :p

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
You're not gonna make one of us 'old-guys' feel even older by making us admit we know how to run one of those still - are you :eek: Hope this helps some; an old guy ... :p
Let me up the membership of the O/G Club by one.

Extra credit in HS was to hook the analyzer, same one in HS, up to the school car, one of the Driver's Ed cars, and present to the teacher a report of the condition/problem teacher installed into the car.

What was nice was to see the Cheerleader Captain use it. She rocked!

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is getting good. I had most of the stuff hooked up and it all still seems to work. Even the dialback timing light. As for the long crooked metal rod at the right of the unit?...well that is missing. I would like to learn how the occilator (sp) works and what to look for.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
Start here: http://www.etools.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1730#scope

The oscilliscope shows the ignition waveforms on the primary side ans secondary side when selected, either in parade, spread out according to firing order, or superimposed, firing order stacked as all are 'on top' of each other.

The waveform shows the plug firing duration, the leftover emf, magnetic field dying out, the points closing, and buildup of the next plug firing, called dwell.

Secondary side shows spark energy created from the coil, the spikes whose amplitude represent available coil voltage to jump the spark gap, secondary emf die out, and build up of the next plug spark.

Also shows the condition of the dist bushings at the point closure, mormally, any movement less than 3° is okay. More than 3°, and bushing /shaft needs repair. One can also see the point cam lobe being sysmetrical by comparing the all cylinders dwell time/degrees. One half of the firing order being shorter than the other half shows a worn points cam.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found and bought an old 520. Same problem as you - needed manuals. Finally found a guy that services and sells these old machines, and also sells copies of old manuals. I bought some from him, and also found a few on ebay. Anyway his name is Bob Mathews, and his number is 1-800-385-5811.

Ed

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had my son keep an eye out for any information for you at the Charlotte Auto Fair yesterday, but didn't see anything. Give Bob a try. He was a little slow, but did come through. Seems like it was $20.00.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just gave Bob a call. Just waiting for a call back now.

Thanks for the help everyone. This thing is cool. Always wanted to have one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is getting good. I had most of the stuff hooked up and it all still seems to work. Even the dialback timing light. As for the long crooked metal rod at the right of the unit?...well that is missing. I would like to learn how the occilator (sp) works and what to look for.

Thanks
I have a Sun 1120 I would love to get out of my shed and I also have a reprinted manual for it if you are interested. It was working fine when I put it there about 6 years ago but time will tell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts