Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up and old Sun tach #SST90. I opened up the back and it states" use with EB o/r WPA series transmitter. Do I need to come up with a sending unit for this tach, or can I hook up the + and - to the coil? Did these transmitters also act as rev limiters? How much do they cost on the open market? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
have you tried hooking it up yet? never heard of any extra parts you need to buy to hook up a tach, unless you have an MSD box.
Sun tachs are fun- you can actually see the rpm's climb a couple seconds after you let off the gas, which, if nothing else, looks impressive.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate to hook the thing up just to fry the circuts. I know the very early Sun tachs used sending units but I am not sure about this one. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
dont know the specific model number, but the old school sun tachs used to need a box(transmitter) that went along with the tach, tach went to the box, box went to coil. if i remember correct its about the size of an msd box, but a bit smaller. i think all they are is the workings/electronics that come in the newer tachs, but they used a seperate box to hold them, likely because the old tech stuff just took up more space. kind of like how computers went from taking up a room to what they are now.
is it one of the larger chrome, glass faced types you see in the old drag photos? i think they are very cool, from a nostalgia point, but you have to have the transmitter, or it wont work. i'll bet you can find a transmitter for it still, on ebay or something.
good luck with it

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it is the chrome stand alone tach that you see on steering columns of the older muscle cars. I know what the sending units look like, but I have a friend that connected the + and - directly to the coil, and it worked ok. I know some of the Sun Super Tachs can be connected directly to the coil. My question is does mine need the sending unit, Is there a website that specializes in aftermarket Sun tachs? Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts