Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Shawn Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro LS3, TKO 600
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I got around to installing my stock sun visors and they are too long for the modern rear view mirror. When I pull them down they partially block the mirror. Before finishing the headliner I also forgot to install the hardware for the piece that holds the ends of the sun visors and helps prevents them from sagging. I am
Not sure what to do now. Maybe find shorter visor from another car? Modify or make new visor? Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It may be the angle of the picture, but it could be your new mirror is too high. I have a wider than stock mirror on my 68RS and the mirror fits between the notches of the visors. I know 69s are different, glue to the windshield don't they? So you might want to check the mirror height before you different visors.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be the angle of the picture, but it could be your new mirror is too high. I have a wider than stock mirror on my 68RS and the mirror fits between the notches of the visors. I know 69s are different, glue to the windshield don't they? So you might want to check the mirror height before you different visors.
Thanks. I think you might be right. Now to figure out how to remove the clued on mount without breaking the window.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Call a local windshield/glass repair shop like Safelight and see what they use when doing this. You might be able to use fishing line or dental floss and simply jigsaw it back and forth to get it to release. And finally, after covering the dash good, you might try some acetone/laquar thinner applied at the top of plate by a small artist paint brush to loosen up the glue. Just suggestions.

Reactions: frog7151

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Call a local windshield/glass repair shop like Safelight and see what they use when doing this. You might be able to use fishing line or dental floss and simply jigsaw it back and forth to get it to release. And finally, after covering the dash good, you might try some acetone/laquar thinner applied at the top of plate by a small artist paint brush to loosen up the glue. Just suggestions.
Thanks. You Tube says to use heat. Looks like you have to be really careful not heat the glass too much.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I recommend you do not use heat. It is too easy to localize the heat causing the windshield to crack due to the temperature differential. Use the dental floss in a jigsaw manner.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
I recommend you do not use heat. It is too easy to localize the heat causing the windshield to crack due to the temperature differential. Use the dental floss in a jigsaw manner.
Does the insurance cover glass?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would run away from heat. Think about how many years a car sets in the sun without the mirror falling off. Just a guess, but Naptha (lighter fluid) or acetone may loosen it. A good glass shop will be able to tell you what they use to clean the old adhesive residue off of the glass.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Some guys online heat up the bracket with a propane lighter or BBQ lighter. Moving it around to soften up the adhesive- caution here. I would lay something over the dash area protecting it from possibly falling. Here's the video to get some pointers if you dare.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
69 mirrors are
screwed to the roof and not glued on.

Reactions: bills69

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
Not a stock mirror.
100% positive on my earlier comment. Windshield mirrors started in 1970. Look at these old threads from this site.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Keith, if you look at his picture in the first post, he is not using the stock mirror and hence the problem.
That was my point, not a stock mirror.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
Sorry I thought you were saying that the roof mounted mirror was not stock. And this post is why I thought that.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,254 Posts
I think there are bigger problems at play. The 69 bracket does double duty - holds the mirror and holds the visors stationary. It is also sort of a reverse mount in the sense the bracket fits against the roof and the mirror arm goes forward towards the windshield to hold the mirror. If you have glued your mirror to the window and don't have the bracket I am going to assume you will need to custom make something but your visors are still going to be in road as far as your mirror is concerned.

Maybe I am missing something but you may have unwittingly caused yourself some headaches here.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think there are bigger problems at play. The 69 bracket does double duty - holds the mirror and holds the visors stationary. It is also sort of a reverse mount in the sense the bracket fits against the roof and the mirror arm goes forward towards the windshield to hold the mirror. If you have glued your mirror to the window and don't have the bracket I am going to assume you will need to custom make something but your visors are still going to be in road as far as your mirror is concerned.

Maybe I am missing something but you may have unwittingly caused yourself some headaches here.
I am always causing myself headaches, lol. I think once I lower the mirror I can modify the bracket cover and mount it to hold the ends of visor stationary. I only need to lower the mirror 1.5 inches. Should be good To go then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts