Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys checked out the new issue Of Chevy High Performance (Mar 06)? On the cover and page 72 there is a '71 Chevelle with a Supercharged 372 small block. WOW, 952 HP and 9.32 @ 146 in the 1/4 mile.

Very nice and very fast.

I have a customer wanting to build such a car but with a '67 Camaro. You guys want to post your thoughts on possibilites for the build. Here are some questions/ideas I have:

- I am still open to the head choice: Canfield (I like the price) , Brodix, AFR, ? Patriot heads, I don't know about these. Has anybody tried these heads yet?

- Who makes the best belt driven (non-roots type) super charger set up? ProCharger, Vortech or Paxton. I like the idea of a self contained oiling. Simplicity is key!

- Who makes the best custom blow through carbs?

- Ideas about fuel system set ups?

- What type of 6-speed manual trans would live behind a 700 - 900 HP beast like this? How about a TH400/GV overdrive?

- Would you build a 372 (4.125 x 3.48") or 400 (4.125 x 3.75) small block? Either way will have a fully forged rotating assembly with blower pistons and about 9.1 - 1 CR. The 372 is interesting as this combo is very popular in circle track racing, great breathing and high revving!

- The block will either be a Motown or Dart, leaning towards Dart.

- The valve train will be full roller, most likely custom ground hyd roller cam (looking at Cam Motion or Comp).

- The car will most likely have a 12-point custom cage. He wants stealth, I say be SAFE!

- Susspension ideas. The best front clips? Probably a Fatman Fabrication up front. Others? The best rear set up? DSE, AirRide, Hot Rods to Hell?

- This car will be a wicked street car and NOT a race car. The customer wants no external cues as to what is under the hood. Blower whine is acceptable.

I will research and bench race this thing to death before the first dollar is spent or the first wrench is turned. Not every good/great shop has built a combo like this. This is not a roots blower or Nitrous engine, those have been done to death. This is differant stuff for sure.

This website is a wealth of information and there are some great guys here who love to discuss stuff like this.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions. Bring it on guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
958 Posts
I am currently building a normally-aspirated 372. My combo uses a Bow-Tie Block, Canfield 218cc CNC heads, 13.5:1 JE pistons, Oliver rods, Callies crank, custom Cam Motion solid roller, Jesel rockers, and Wilson-prepped Victor Jr. I went with the Canfield heads because the exhaust ports are in the stock location, so I thought I could get away without custom headers. I will end up running custom headers anyway because of the exhaust port width and ground clearance issues. I would recommend taking a good look at the Brodix Track 1 M2 CNC heads.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the 'Malitude' owned by Charley 'clill' on this site has a turbo'ed 372 - so maybe he'll chime in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts