Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 camaro, 468, D-1 procharger being installed at the moment. Problem is: I have a Sagnaw power steering pump, and when we try to tuck it under the procharger it will not go back far enough, I do have the brackets required and all. I actually need another 2 inches to get the pully's to even coming close to lining up. Problem is, there is no more room to bring back the big pump. Hit's frame. Curious if anyone had this type of problem w/procharger and power steering unit?

My options: cut into frame to make room.(no)
manual ratio power steering (???)
Since I will be keeping the car for a long time, I've been told to get an A-Body power steering pump. Would like to probably just get a used one. What type of cars are really A-Body's and is there a certain car I should get this A-Body power steering unit off? I beleive this is the option I would like to go; but don't really know which cars have the unit I would want. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks perfect, would fit well from the looks. Pully goes on front of the unit?

What kind of unit is it?
Don't understand by remote resovoir?
Learning as I go w/powersteering systems?

Let me know about it? Thanks for the reply!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
Procharger offers the ps brackets for the remote style pump shown above. Comes with the pulley needed that has the correct offset to line up with the lower blower pulley. I believe a friend with a 69 Chevelle small block also had to change to that style to clear the frame. I also have done it on a couple of installs.

I'll get back with a website to my friends 69 Chevelle.

Lots of good pics and info.

http://home.comcast.net/~procharged69/

Jody

[ 10-22-2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Camcojb ]

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Extrememly curious about a few things. For both items looks a little pricy especially from DSE. I'm talking about Power steering, nothing to special here, and know that the A-body power steering pump will work just great, and can get one at a salvage yard. So does any one know the best car to get this off. A body cars, I think they are dodge type, maybe off an old dodge??? Talked to procharger, A body will work great just not sure where to get one, off ebay, or salvage maybe. Any help would be great! And if you happen to know the price of resovoir and pump, looks sort of nice to be cheap, which I could use, non leaking, non noise good old fashioned power steering, kinda sucks because my old Sagnaw one works absolutly perfect, just a little to big.

Thanks for all the help!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts