Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking a buying a 2002 SS Camaro 6spd and was looking at ProCharger's supercharger kit. I am wanting to know if the stock internals in the engine and transmission can hold up to the extra power from the supercharger. The motor will most likely have low miles around 20k miles. What do yall think?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
9,226 Posts
it's fine at the stock boost levels and the correct tune. The problem begins when the stock boost level isn't enough (which always happens) and you start turning up the boost. Then one tuning/pinging mishap will damage the stock pistons and you'll be building a new motor.

Jody

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
At one time you couldn't find an aftermarket bolt-on charger for the 02 LS1 engine. (Referencing the common suppliers like Jegs, Summit, etc.) I suspect it may be due to the 02 LS1 engine having about a 1/2 point more compression than the prior years. I think the compression ratio is about 10:1 and the engine doesn't do well on anything below 93 Octane fuel as it is. The 02 LS1 is going to present problems to supercharging that the 01 engine and earlier didn't have.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
9,226 Posts
At one time you couldn't find an aftermarket bolt-on charger for the 02 LS1 engine. (Referencing the common suppliers like Jegs, Summit, etc.) I suspect it may be due to the 02 LS1 engine having about a 1/2 point more compression than the prior years. I think the compression ratio is about 10:1 and the engine doesn't do well on anything below 93 Octane fuel as it is. The 02 LS1 is going to present problems to supercharging that the 01 engine and earlier didn't have.
they actually have roots and centrifugal blower kits as well as turbos for the stock LS2's which have about 11:1 compression. They have the same kits for all years of ls1's.

Jody

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if I keep under 8lbs of boost I should have no problems when running 93 octane? I just dont want to get my new ride and charge it and blow the motor. :D What kinda gains should I expect with the ProCharger at 7lbs of boost. 100-150HP?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
9,226 Posts
So if I keep under 8lbs of boost I should have no problems when running 93 octane? I just dont want to get my new ride and charge it and blow the motor. :D What kinda gains should I expect with the ProCharger at 7lbs of boost. 100-150HP?
if you stick with the standard boost level that the particular kit is set for with their tune you should be fine. Different engine/car combos use different boost, but most intercooled kits for that engine will be in the 6-8 psi range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.