Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever found a solution for engine heat leaking into the cab? After driving for more than 20 minutes, you can feel the heat coming from under the dash in waves. Not much fun, particularly in the summer in Florida when the AC is already working overtime. I've put insulation under the rug up to where the floor meets the firewall, but it didn't help. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Are you running a ducted hood? If so do you have a good seal between the air cleaner and the hood? If you do not have a seal the hot air is being forced into the cab through the fresh air vents! I have the same problem and plan to put in a custom air cleaner (home made) to try and solve the problem.

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 12-17-2001).]

·
Registered
107 Posts
I noticed a fair difference after cutting shut-off valves in line of the heater hoses. I used some grey plastic valves I found at ACE hdwre. biggest change was with the foil backed under carpet insulation, now my feet don't boil. good luck

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is your exhaust in the stock location? I had a friend who had new exhaust installed and the guy put it to close to the floor pan. It got pretty hot in the car while on the freeway.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
460 Posts
You said you replaced the insulation under the carpet but did you replace the firewall pad? It falls apart and then after thirty years of people drilling extra holes in the firewall and tearing at the pad it probably needs to be replaced if you haven't done so

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did replace the firewall pad. Not running a ducted hood, although I do have an aftermarket dual exhaust that does seem awfully close to the floor. However, the heat is coming from behind or under the dash, so I don't think that should make a difference.
So I take it that excessive engine heat is not a normal condition on these old cars?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Look for unsealed holes in the firewall. like speedo cable, clutch linkage, etc. It doesn't take much of an opening to allow lots of heat in.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know you said that the heat was coming from under the dash but check the shift boot. I had a ripped shift boot and it was like having the heat on full, but it wasn't really coming from under the dash. Just throwing things out

·
Registered
407 Posts
I want to second the two posts right above this one. Check the firewall area for any holes that are not sealed and for any boots that may be torn or missing. At night, get under the dash while a friend holds a trouble light next to the firewall on the engine side. Light coming through will tell you of any openings to the engine compartment. If your clutch rod boot is ripped like mine was, you are getting a direct blast off the exhaust manifold into the interior! And those manifolds make ALOT of heat.
Does it feel like it's coming from the drivers side under the dash or the passenger? If it's more on the passenger side, you may need to remove the heater box (kind of a pain) and replace all of the seals inside the box (kind of fun) and this will prevent hot air from escaping the box to your interior.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,
I like the idea of checking the firewall seals. Come to think of it, I think I've seen at least one that is loose. Also, I have a Vintage Air unit bolted to the firewall on the passengers side, so the heater box is gone. But I wonder if heat is leaking through there as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts