Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best stuff for breaking loose old rusty nuts and bolts? So far all I've got is trusty old WD-40, but I wonder if I should step up to something better when I start redoing my suspension. What works the best?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Kroll - - At least that's how I think it's spelled. It's some real nasty stuff. It could probably get you good and high too. Not that I'm into that kinda thing.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Zep z51

Works great, one can lasts and lasts and lasts.

you shake it (has a rattle ball)
seriously, one can has lasted me over a year

John

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Kroil has my vote also, I have an endless supply they stock it at the power plant I work at HeHe. Dont spray it around hot exhaust etc. its highly flammable.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I like to use "Wintergreen Extract" (like the stuff they use to flavor candy) for those really rusty bolts. A couple of drops, let it sit for acouple of hours and presto.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
PB Blaster is just about as good as Kroil. WD-40 is about useless as a penetrant - next step up is Liquid Wrench, then the next step up is the really good stuff - PB Blaster and Kroil.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
3,388 Posts
Cam"e"ro,
We used to get some stuff from the Chrysler dealer that was made to break free rusted exhaust bolts. It was in a spray can and cme out like a foam. It was the baddest I have ever seen. Lately we use either PB Blaster or JB80 from Justice Brothers. Both of them seem to work well.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I've settled on PB Blaster. Use WD40 to remove bugs and tar. Seriously, over the years, I found my way to PB.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i hate WD-40 it is junk i just went to do a sway bar on my moms van and the bolts i sprayd where the same as the ones i didnt and yes one did snap off in the frame gerrrr

·
Registered
343 Posts
Tri Flow. Works awesome.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Krylon Let-go

------------------
currently restoring my '67, 327, T-10,3.73 10 bolt

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have a can of some of that foaming stuff as said above. ALthough the can is black silver with no label on it, I know it is a Power Up penetrating lube. Rather expensive, but it works really well... and the smell is sweet, no headaches.

WD-40 was apparently initially designed for use by the military to keep condensation off of missile warheads. WD -> Water Displacement. WD-40 is good when used to keep water off of things. I like to spray it in between the car body and the mudflaps, as a lot of water tends to get caught in there after a wash and might cause rust. It also cleans your hands well!

------------------
Brave man not milk bull... only stupid man

·
Registered
238 Posts
PB Blaster. Its about as good as it gets. If it wont work,Its torch time.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
WD-40 is a dessert topping, no it's a penetrating oil. Anyone remember Saturday Night Live skits? Couldn't resist.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
GM Parts, can't recall the name off hand.

I used it on some 30 yr rusted exhaust manifold bolts. let is soak a week and they came right out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts