Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 69 Camaro with factory front pw disc and rear drums. My first build put cut Hotkis springs, Hotki front & rear sways, derched rear leaf springs, poly bushings, subframe connecters and KYB shocks. Now I want to replace it with tube A-arms, larger vented/slotted pw discs all around, coil overs, and rack and pinion. I want a balance of performance that can control 500hp+ but also be a semi-daily driver for comfort. It's a really harsh ride right now with a lot of bump steer and POS pw steering. I will not be tracking the car so I also don't want to break the bank. I don't need sways. I currently run 17x8s but am contemplating putting 18s on the rear. My question is, what is the best place for a package deal that is reasonable. I'm can't drop 10k on suspension alone and I don't want a new clip either. Any suggestions? I also hear that tube AA don't require drop spindles, gives the lowered look, and corrects bump steer. Is this correct?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I've have been very happy with some low budget mods, IROC steering box, 550# front springs, tubular upper arms (for more caster), Guldstrand drop, 1 1/4" sway bar. I set it up with about 7 degrees of caster and replaced all the typical wear items. No one who's driven it can believe the difference for the relatively small expenditure. I've been happy with taller upper ball joints on C3 Vettes and gen 2 F bodies so I plan to try them on gen 1s with the mods described.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Add on rack and pinion steering will likely get you worse bump steer. Spend the money on a Turn One 600 steering box.

Don

Reactions: 130fe

·
14,735 Posts
Add on rack and pinion steering will likely get you worse bump steer. Spend the money on a Turn One 600 steering box.

Don
X2. Turn One is great. I also have very good experience with AGR steering boxes

Reactions: 130fe

·
Registered
247 Posts
x3 on the Delphi 670 steering box, Lee power steering also sells them. I believe the AGR is a rebuilt 800 style box.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes Rebuilts. The core or housing and some internal components are used not new. They are then rebuilt using USA made parts.

·
14,735 Posts
Yes Rebuilts. The core or housing and some internal components are used not new. They are then rebuilt using USA made parts.
Ok it says nothing about “rebuilt” on there site or Summots site or Jegs site

Where are you getting your rebuilt info?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nor does it say anything about new.
This is from Summits website:
AGR Performance is a leading manufacturer of performance power steering products designed for race vehicles, musclecars, street rods, and off-road machines. The AGR team is comprised of true enthusiasts who use real-world experience to develop steering components that enhance overall vehicle performance. The company’s performance products include power steering gear boxes, power steering pumps, power rack and pinion steering assemblies and hydraulic assist packages. Using new components built to proprietary specs, along with some highly refurbished pieces, AGR Performance delivers high performance handling in an attractive package!

·
Premium Member
568 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
X4 - There are many people that regret Rack & Pinion once it's on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts