Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building my 69 subframe just for it back from powder coater .. I have the hotchkis TVs kit and ls1 f body brakes front and rear. Car is a street car and won’t be auto crossed. My question is this. I have the g mod and am running stock arms for now. Will I benefit from going with the pro forged tall upper ball joints and tall outer tie rods or should I just stick with factory lengths for now ? I do plan on getting some tubular arms but not right now as the budget is getting spread thin on restoring the entire car

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts

·
10,142 Posts
So you would think since I have the g mod so just add the tall outer tie rod ends and use factory length ball joints
Yes, do this. You don’t need the tall uppers at this time. But get the tall outer tie rod ends.
If you were to combine the Guldstrand mod with .9” tall uppers, you would very likely have binding because those ball joints come close to binding alone. You could probably go with .5” tall, but would have increased bump steer over stock that the tall tie rods can’t correct. Increased caster will help you more than tall ball joints

·
10,142 Posts
Howe, Proforged, and I think Afco make tall ball joints. Proforged makes a tall outer tie rod end but I dont' know if the others make them. Howe makes a threaded shank tie rod end and perhaps it could be used to make an adjustable height outer tie rod. The steering arm would have to be drilled out and threaded & without a taper, I dont' know how well it would last before coming loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts